Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which "Monitor" shows the soft pulls?

tag
Desert-Rat
Regular Contributor

Which "Monitor" shows the soft pulls?

I've read about 830297 posts and can't find this info anywhere.

Since there's been a lot of activity on this board relative to soft pulls, I figured this would be the place to ask.  I thought it was CCT, but I see a lot of TrueCredit too.  EX is also mentioned.  I have some issues with EX and  want to know what's happening in the background....  (they've lost my entire file)

Thanks,

D-R

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Established Contributor

Re: Which "Monitor" shows the soft pulls?

CCT shows the soft pulls for EX (you must hit dispute button to see them)

Equifax Credit Watch shows soft pulls for EQ

I can see soft pulls for all three via annualcreditreport.com

Message Edited by plasticman on 08-21-2009 09:26 AM
Message 2 of 9
MattH
Senior Contributor

@plasticman wrote:

CCT shows the soft pulls for EX (you must hit dispute button to see them)

Equifax Credit Watch shows soft pulls for EQ

I can see soft pulls for all three via annualcreditreport.com

Message Edited by plasticman on 08-21-2009 09:26 AM

Note a key point here: CCT is owned by EX, and of course EQ's Credit Watch is owned by them.  And when you do your annual free pulls on annualcreditreport.com you are directly pulling from the CRAs.  A third party service such as myfico cannot show you the soft pulls because they cannot see the softs in what they get from the CRA.  This is to protect your legal rights: by law only you get to see the softs on your history, so the CRA will only provide the softs when you yourself go directly to them.

Personally, I've subscribed to Quarterly Monitoring in myfico for some time, and occasionally pulled all three when I could (now occasionally pull both).  Last year my employers lost a backup tape of encrypted HR data, so they got all their employees subscriptions to EX monitoring that allows daily pulls.  Therefore I have frequent access to my reports, but of course none of these give me the softs.  For those I always save my annual free reports so at any time during the year I can review who softed me as of my most recent annual pull (and for the most part it does seem to be the same companies every year, with all my creditors doing AR softs like clockwork and various other companies doing PRM softs).  It does seem like most PRM softs are followed shortly thereafter by a preapproved pitch.

Message Edited by MattH on 08-21-2009 03:54 PM
TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's the "Dispute Button" at CCT? 

Neeeeevermind! Smiley Happy

Message Edited by Cyan007 on 08-22-2009 01:25 PM
Message 4 of 9
Established Contributor

One needs to click on the "Dispute Information" tab at the top of the CCT report. Then follow the prompts to the dispute page. On that page there is a line which says "recent requests for your credit history" click on that line and you will see all hard and soft pulls of your EX credit report.

Cyann007, I should have described this CCT function more clearly in my previous post because when I first signed up I had to call CCT to figure out how to see them!

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

Unless the CR is a report from the CRA (not a monitor or third party service, not even a third party service owned by the CRA) you will not see softs.

Case in point:  CCT reports do not show softs, not even Experian, who owns CCT.  TrueCredit does not show softs, not even for Transunion, who owns TrueCredit.

Only by going to TU for TU and EX for EX and EQ for EQ will you see soft inquiries.

Message 6 of 9
Desert-Rat
Regular Contributor

@plasticman wrote:

One needs to click on the "Dispute Information" tab at the top of the CCT report. Then follow the prompts to the dispute page. On that page there is a line which says "recent requests for your credit history" click on that line and you will see all hard and soft pulls of your EX credit report.

Cyann007, I should have described this CCT function more clearly in my previous post because when I first signed up I had to call CCT to figure out how to see them!

^ 5 

Thanks plasticman!  I would have been lost without that information.  I decided to go with CCT, followed your directions and discovered 17 soft pulls!  Alas, missing is the one I was searching for..... <sigh>  (I'm trying to get Citi to reactivate an old card.  Their 7-10 days for a response is up tomorrow so we shall see....)

On the good side....  EX has been a PITA; my file had been lost or something, and showing only 1 TL.  I called them a couple of weeks ago and today they showed 22 TL's and a handsome Plus FAKO of 800!  If it weren't for that dang 4 yr old 30 day, I might have 801?  Smiley Very Happy

And, thanks Cyann007, for asking the question.

D-R

Message 7 of 9
Desert-Rat
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

Unless the CR is a report from the CRA (not a monitor or third party service, not even a third party service owned by the CRA) you will not see softs.

Case in point:  CCT reports do not show softs, not even Experian, who owns CCT.  TrueCredit does not show softs, not even for Transunion, who owns TrueCredit.

Only by going to TU for TU and EX for EX and EQ for EQ will you see soft inquiries.

txjohn,  Thanks for your response, however:

IF you use CCT, follow plasticman's instructions above.  I found 17 soft pulls there by doing so.

D-R

Message 8 of 9
Underh20
Frequent Contributor

@Desert-Rat wrote:

I've read about 830297 posts and can't find this info anywhere.

Since there's been a lot of activity on this board relative to soft pulls, I figured this would be the place to ask.  I thought it was CCT, but I see a lot of TrueCredit too.  EX is also mentioned.  I have some issues with EX and  want to know what's happening in the background....  (they've lost my entire file)

Thanks,

D-R

With EX credit monitoring, you can see soft inquiries by starting the dispute process after pulling your report.  It will then show you a different report which includes the soft inquiries, but once you get that you don't have to continue and actually file a dispute.

With EQ credit monitoring, it shows the soft inquiries directly on the updated report you pull.

TU is similar to EX except that if you begin the process of disputing more than X number of times it freezes your ability to perform online disputes.  I believe the magic number is 9 and the time period is really long -- like a year. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.