Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which service to monitor all 3 credit scores

tag
amanda126612

Which service to monitor all 3 credit scores

Hello,

I am interested in getting my credit score high to get approved for a mortgage.  I pulled all 3 of my credit reports but I was wondering what everyone on this board uses to monitor the 3 credit scores.  Everything I am seeing seems so expensive.

I'm sure most people on here probably use the same thing, so I was just wondering what that is.

Also, are FAKO's ok to use throughout the year and maybe get a real FICO not as often.  From what I see the FAKO's are alot cheaper but I would much prefer FICO if possible.

Thanks everyone!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which service to monitor all 3 credit scores

There's no definititive right or wrong way to go about it: as you noted, it depends on how much you're willing to pay for the service.

Right now, unless you're a member of a specific Pennsylvania Credit Union, there's no effective way to get one's Experian FICO score without a lender pulling it.  The FICO scores cost as much as they do, because apparently the market will bear it.  I too am a little disappointed that it's done that way as I'm confident a pull doesn't cost that much, but it is what it is.

I mostly do what you're suggesting: personally I spot check my EQ / TU FICO here (the EQ one is actually used for mortgage qualification with some minor possible differences but it's a very good barometer for it), and just use a free service to monitor my reports.  The report data is what's really valuable and should be monitored in my estimation, the algorithm selected by most credit card issuers, auto loans, and most other products are wildly different, from FICO, to some 3rd party one (FAKO by definition), to their own internal scoring algorithm.

End of the day though, all the algorithms are going to judge your worthiness by what's in the report, and while they might have different criteria, a better report is going to generate a better score regardless.  Just don't follow the advice the simulators give, this forum is excellent for research into what can, and almost always should be done, in order to improve your scores.

        
Message 2 of 6
IOBA
Senior Contributor

myFico has a good product.

USAA has a good service. 

FAKO's are just that - fake numbers.   It's probably better to pay for a REAL FICO score than to pay for a fako.   Not sure the best options for that.  I think myFico offeres 2 of the 3 real scores.  

Message 3 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@amanda126612 wrote:

Hello,

I am interested in getting my credit score high to get approved for a mortgage.  I pulled all 3 of my credit reports but I was wondering what everyone on this board uses to monitor the 3 credit scores.  Everything I am seeing seems so expensive.

I'm sure most people on here probably use the same thing, so I was just wondering what that is.

Also, are FAKO's ok to use throughout the year and maybe get a real FICO not as often.  From what I see the FAKO's are alot cheaper but I would much prefer FICO if possible.

Thanks everyone!

Hi Amanda and welcome.

When you get a chance looks at this excellent thread: CMS Guide. It lists most if not all of the monitoring services available today.

Also I will pass along this information about different "scores":

(With all due credit to long time member llecs for this):

"Virtually everyone sells scores, but they are not all FICO scores. If you got scores from the big 3, then very likely 2 or all 3 of them are not FICO scores. Experian and TransUnion do not sell FICO scores on their website. We call these non-FICO scores, FAKOs, and can easily be as much as a few points to 100+ points off your real FICO when pulled the same day. If it didn't say "FICO" next to the score, then it isn't.

Other companies (e.g. freecreditreport.com, freescore.com, truecredit, creditkarma, Equifax Credit Complete, Quizzle, and dozens of others out there) sell scores, but they are nothing more than gimmicks and lenders don't use them. They do this because they want to avoid paying any fees to FICO and when they say "credit score" people buy it anyway on the assumption that it is a FICO. The scores are off because the formula is different, factors in different things as compared to FICO, and score ranges are different than FICO's (e.g. FICO is 300-850, Vantage is 501-990, PLUS is 330-830, TransRisk is 350-850, and so on)."

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 6
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

If you have a Walmart CC (store card or Discover), you can get your TU08 FICO free each month. Otherwise, there is the quarterly TU FICO available here at myfico.com.

EQ ScoreWatch (either from here or from EQ) will give you your current EQ FICO score and update you with any changes. You just have to be sure and update your "target score" to whatever your current score is, so that you will be notified when it changes. Whenever your score changes, you need to update your "target score" to the new score, so that you'll continue to be notified. Not sure why it works like that, but it seems to be the way it works.

As others have said, unfortunately there's no good way to get your EX FICO unless you live, or have family in, Pennsylvania.

BTW, I also use USAA CMS, which monitors all 3 credit reports, notifies you of changes. Plus you can pull a 3-in-1 CR every day if you want. I just ignore the scores on there, since they're FAKOs. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 6
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Just one of those things, but I have noticed that my Experian FAKO score with USAA CMS is the same as my real FICO score with PSECU.   Same with DH.   

Things that make you go hhmmm...

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.