Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who gives prequals under 21?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who gives prequals under 21?

I'm a student, I'm under 21.

I've tried Chase, Citi, Amex, and a handful of other prequal sites. Amex is the only one that ever gave me a prequal. If you're under 21, where have you seen prequals?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Who gives prequals under 21?

Nobody.
It's a clear violation of federal law - the CARD act
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fltireguy wrote:
Nobody.

I know they can't solicit under 21, but I thought prequals were a-ok if you put your name in.

Message 3 of 19
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

My son received a prequal with Cap1 but not Discover, although he was approved for the Discover card.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@medicgrrl wrote:
My son received a prequal with Cap1 but not Discover, although he was approved for the Discover card.

Was on their website or via another route? Even their own website says "To be matched to a pre-qualified credit card offer, you must be at least 21 years old. You must be at least 18 years old to be matched to a credit card offer."

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only get pre-quals on Amex as well for BCE, ED, and Green. I'm 18.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a specific card you had in mind?

For Chase I can guarantee you an approval for Slate/Freedom/Freedom Unlimited if you're under 5/24 so no need for a prequalified offer Smiley Wink
Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Is there a specific card you had in mind?

For Chase I can guarantee you an approval for Slate/Freedom/Freedom Unlimited if you're under 5/24 so no need for a prequalified offer Smiley Wink

I'm on the verge of app'ing for the Chase Amazon card, I just don't want to chance losing any auto-luv from Chase on the FU since that had such an awful SL... (I app'd while my Disco was secured/$600 -- I was going to wait but I got the 300/500 offer in-branch for the very card I wanted...)

Message 8 of 19
hsspres
Contributor

@fltireguy wrote:
Nobody.

Not exactly:  You can legally get a credit card as young as age 18, the law requires that you have your own steady source of income to qualify for a credit card.

You can get a credit card under age 18 if an adult adds you as an authorized user to their credit card.

FICOs 6/17 - EQ 751, EX 749, TU 760
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

While many years ago I had two credit cards at 18 along with a car loan and furniture financing.

I was in highschool still, I had a good money making job at $400+ a week take home in cash.(1992) I obtained all the above by 19.

18 and credit can happen! haha.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.