cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Did My Credit Karma Score Drop 30 Pts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why Did My Credit Karma Score Drop 30 Pts?

I don't really care what Credit Karma has to say because they have their own formula but nothing on my credit report is different from their previous except for the positive things such as higher credit limit, lower utilization (9%); no new inquires, no new accounts, no negative nothing, no new negatives, but it dropped by 30 pts. 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
castor4072
Regular Contributor

Re: Why Did My Credit Karma Score Drop 30 Pts?

Don't fret....CK said my Transunion was 645....Discover said it was 701 and was just approved for a loan and my Trans score was 701.....so...dont believe CK...use Credit Karma as a resource to see if anything changed on your credit report...that's all I use mine for!!!

Cas...

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@castor4072 wrote:

Don't fret....CK said my Transunion was 645....Discover said it was 701 and was just approved for a loan and my Trans score was 701.....so...dont believe CK...use Credit Karma as a resource to see if anything changed on your credit report...that's all I use mine for!!!

Cas...

Not fretting. I couldn't care any less about CK scores. Just curious since there is no real change to the credit report. I think it's a scam to get people to panic so they go and purchase the real scores.

Message 3 of 17
castor4072
Regular Contributor

No worries.....I think you are right too...sent you into panic mode....my score dropped 89 points on CK and I knew it was a crock of sh*t....lol

Message 4 of 17
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I had an inquiry age off, and my CK score dropped nearly 50 points... sometimes it makes absolutely no sense.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You think that's bad. I have perfect payment history in 3 years. If I slide their calculator to 24 months it goes down, at only 12 its higher!
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

...sent you into panic mode....

I didn't panic. I've already read all about CK and how their scores were not pulled from the bureaus but rather it's their very own secret formula. The only thing they receive from the two bureaus is the credit report not their actual scores.

It's like they get the Coca Cola can but not the soda.  To make up for the lack of soda, they make their own carbonated liquid formula, but it's not Coca Cola.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it's a scam to get people to panic so they go and purchase the real scores.

That doesn't really make sense, since CK doesn't sell the real scores, nor does it advertise websites that do (afaik). They wouldn't gain anything by making people search out a website to buy real scores.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it's a scam to get people to panic so they go and purchase the real scores.

That doesn't really make sense, since CK doesn't sell the real scores, nor does it advertise websites that do (afaik). They wouldn't gain anything by making people search out a website to buy real scores.

How do you know that Credit Karma didn't have a deal with the two credit bureaus; do you think Credit Karma receives credit report from the two bureaus for free? Search the web on how Credit Karma users have been shocked to find their credit score from Credit Karma had drastically dropped and how they panicked and purchased the real score only to find out there was no relation between credit karma score and the three credit bureaus score. 

Credit bureaus are not out there on your behalf. They are blood sucking predators preying on people with bad credit scores, ripping them off by selling them credit monitoring services with aggresive sales tactics. Do you actually think you can cancel a credit monitor service simply by pressing a button. No, you have to go through a live agent where they continue to pound you with other products. So I wouldn't be surprise if the the companies have scare tactics to increase revenue.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How do you know that Credit Karma didn't have a deal with the two credit bureaus; do you think Credit Karma receives credit report from the two bureaus for free? Search the web on how Credit Karma users have been shocked to find their credit score from Credit Karma had drastically dropped and how they panicked and purchased the real score only to find out there was no relation between credit karma score and the three credit bureaus score. 

Credit Karma pays credit bureaus for the info, and they pay for that (plus get profit for themselves) with advertising credit cards and other credit services. They make money off those because when someone clicks a link, the advertiser knows that the person was using a link from Credit Karma, so the advertiser pays credit karma for that service.

What you've said is that someone might panic after seeing a drop in their CK score, and that might cause them to go buy a real FICO score from some other website not affiliated with CK. And that the credit bureaus should pay CK for this, because a new customer might have come from CK. 

Your reasoning would be sound if credit bureaus had their own advertising links on CK, for people to go and buy their scores. Put yourself in their shoes - if you ran a business, would you pay for a service on the off chance that they might inadvertently refer some new customers to your business, without having any proof that they helped you at all? 

If you want to go all conspiracy theory, why not consider the fact that maybe CK shows huge score drops so that people will click their advertising links for things like credit repair services?

Or, more likely, CK's algorithm is not wrong on purpose, since they can make money off anyone, good score or not. Good score? They'll suggest you click their links for prime credit cards, and loan refinance/applications. Bad score? They'll suggest you use their credit repair services, or use their links to sub-prime credit cards.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.