Reply
Super Contributor
Posts: 8,183
Registered: ‎03-25-2007
0

Why do CRA's hate me getting free flights?

Apart from cell phone enquiries being treated as desperate pleas for more credit, another of my major gripes at the system is the Credit Utilization bit.  To be a good boy I must not use too much of my available credit.  With an airline card (Chase) this prohibits me from earning miles, unless I change my payment date so I can pay the card off well before I need to so that when it reports my balance it is very low.
 
It makes it very hard.
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Regular Contributor
Posts: 169
Registered: ‎03-16-2007
0

Re: Why do CRA's hate me getting free flights?

Either be okay with the small temporary ding on the score, pay before the statement hits, or get higher limits.

Super Contributor
Posts: 8,183
Registered: ‎03-25-2007
0

Re: Why do CRA's hate me getting free flights?

But it why I hate this part of FICO.  The only finance charges I have paid in the last 12 months are when I have used my card overseas, and yet my utilization is too high.
 
I know how to avoid it, but why do they hate me so?
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Regular Contributor
Posts: 186
Registered: ‎06-06-2007
0

Re: Why do CRA's hate me getting free flights?



MidnightVoice wrote:
Apart from cell phone enquiries being treated as desperate pleas for more credit, another of my major gripes at the system is the Credit Utilization bit.  To be a good boy I must not use too much of my available credit.  With an airline card (Chase) this prohibits me from earning miles, unless I change my payment date so I can pay the card off well before I need to so that when it reports my balance it is very low.
 
It makes it very hard.


ououhhhh, I have so many questions.....
 
I just applied for the Continental Airlines Chase CC TODAY for just that reason, ....keeping my fingers crossed on the approval....
 
Do you ever pay your mortgage or other large bills with your miles card?
Do they have online banking?
Can you set up recurring payments with their online banking?
 
Thanks,
ctRob
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 16,374
Registered: ‎03-12-2007
0

Re: Why do CRA's hate me getting free flights?



ctrob wrote:


MidnightVoice wrote:
Apart from cell phone enquiries being treated as desperate pleas for more credit, another of my major gripes at the system is the Credit Utilization bit.  To be a good boy I must not use too much of my available credit.  With an airline card (Chase) this prohibits me from earning miles, unless I change my payment date so I can pay the card off well before I need to so that when it reports my balance it is very low.
 
It makes it very hard.


ououhhhh, I have so many questions.....
 
I just applied for the Continental Airlines Chase CC TODAY for just that reason, ....keeping my fingers crossed on the approval....
 
Do you ever pay your mortgage or other large bills with your miles card?
Do they have online banking?
Can you set up recurring payments with their online banking?
 
Thanks,
ctRob


Which state do you live in and do you know which CRA they pulled?
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (03-26-2015): EQ 814, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26 years ~ AAoA: 13 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1, EQ 1

Credit Cards: Amex BCP ~ Amex Clear ~ Amex Platinum ~ Barclay Ring Mastercard ~ Chase Freedom Visa ~ CITI Dividend Platinum World Mastercard ~ FIA Fidelity Investment Platinum Visa ~ First Hawaiian Bank Gold Visa
Regular Contributor
Posts: 186
Registered: ‎06-06-2007
0

Re: Why do CRA's hate me getting free flights?

I'm in CT.  I read somewhere they pull TU in PA, my TU is 649...
 
I just applied today and haven't checked yet to see if there was a pull
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 16,374
Registered: ‎03-12-2007
0

Re: Why do CRA's hate me getting free flights?



ctrob wrote:
I'm in CT.  I read somewhere they pull TU in PA, my TU is 649...
 
I just applied today and haven't checked yet to see if there was a pull


Thanks! I am thinking of compiling a list of CCC/CRA pulls from posts at this forum and later sticky it.
Credit Profile -
FICO 08 Scores (03-26-2015): EQ 814, EX 817, TU 822
All three scores were 850. Lost points for not having an open installment TL. So, BE WARNED!!!!!
Credit History: 26 years ~ AAoA: 13 years ~ Util: 1% ~ Inqs: EX 1, EQ 1

Credit Cards: Amex BCP ~ Amex Clear ~ Amex Platinum ~ Barclay Ring Mastercard ~ Chase Freedom Visa ~ CITI Dividend Platinum World Mastercard ~ FIA Fidelity Investment Platinum Visa ~ First Hawaiian Bank Gold Visa
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.