Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do FAKOs exist at all?

tag
ChuckG
Regular Contributor

Why do FAKOs exist at all?

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, I can't find it. When I search for "Why FAKO?" all I get are threads comparing fakos to ficos etc.

But what I want to know, is what good does it do the CRA's to provide fako scores at all? Especially Experian. If the information is available to lenders why shouldn't this information be available to consumers? They can charge practically whatever they want for it, people will pay it. Just doesn't make sense to me from a business persepective. Who benefits? Anyone have some more insight on this?

Thanks, just curious.

Starting Score: 556
Current Score: 672, 681, 692
Goal Score: 700, 700, 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Why do FAKOs exist at all?

It's called capitalism.

Message 2 of 14
ChuckG
Regular Contributor

I don't think capitalism is necessarily a bad thing, but I don't see how the CRAs can make more money with FAKOs than they could make with the real thing?

Starting Score: 556
Current Score: 672, 681, 692
Goal Score: 700, 700, 700

Message 3 of 14
Regular Contributor

Why does the TU score on here exist? It is as much a FAKO as CreditKarma.

Message 4 of 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@ChuckG wrote:

I don't think capitalism is necessarily a bad thing, but I don't see how the CRAs can make more money with FAKOs than they could make with the real thing?

But they do make more $$$. Since they created the score, they don't have to fork out the $$$ to FICO and they can get away with charging the same price while pocketing more. The term "credit score" is ubiquitous. People want a credit score, and little do they know the difference between a FAKO and a FICO (except us). So when they buy a FAKO, they are thinking they do have a FICO. The CRAs and CMSs capitalize on that and they walk away with more $$$ in their pockets.

Message 5 of 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@92235 wrote:

As of last year, and maybe still applies, but millions of TU98 were pulled according to FICO. It just pales in comparison to TU04. Some lenders still use it including mortgage lenders. However, the odds are small you'd ever run into a mortgage lender that uses it....kinda like TU08. Nobody uses that either, or at least not as much as TU98 I bet. 

I know that TU04 isn't offered because TU doesn't want to play. IMO, having TU98 is better than nothing. You certainly can't guesstimate TU04 using a Vantage, TransRisk, PLUS, or whatever FAKO flavor suits your fancy. 

Message 6 of 14
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Sure it's a way to make revenue.  That's why you see all the advertisements for it.  As far as the FAKOs go, most lenders use FICO scores.  Which means whoever pulls the score must pay Fair Isaac a fee for using their algorithm in compiling the score.  If they can just make one without paying Fair Isaac the fee they stand to make more money.  The score they give isn't going to be used by any lenders, but that part isn't advertised.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 14
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

$$$
NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 8 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@llecs wrote:

@92235 wrote:

As of last year, and maybe still applies, but millions of TU98 were pulled according to FICO. It just pales in comparison to TU04. Some lenders still use it including mortgage lenders. However, the odds are small you'd ever run into a mortgage lender that uses it....kinda like TU08. Nobody uses that either, or at least not as much as TU98 I bet. 

I know that TU04 isn't offered because TU doesn't want to play. IMO, having TU98 is better than nothing. You certainly can't guesstimate TU04 using a Vantage, TransRisk, PLUS, or whatever FAKO flavor suits your fancy. 

illecs: has there any been any confirmation of TU98 (or 08) being used for a mortgage application for anything other than jumbo loans?  I know the GSE's will not accept a loan underwritten by TU98, and that's the lion's share of the mortgage market these days, and I don't know any primary lender keeping conventional mortgages on their books... any score congruence between '98 and the mortgage scores is likely as much coincidence as a FAKO's being similar unless the market has changed substantially in the past year (which may have occurred I'll admit, haven't been tracking mortgages closely).

I suppose possibly that it may be pulled as a secondary score in the GSE case?

        
Message 9 of 14
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

All scores are valid. The use and why the score is used varies.  Some scores evaluate risk some are customized ot a particular industry. The FICO scores are predictive score. The score evaluates the credit history looking for various characteristics. IE level indebtedness, payment history, both good and bad etc  Why FICO is so popular among lenders is it accuracy. A consumer with a high FICO score tend to carry a lower risk of not repaying the a debt than a consumer with a low FICO score.

Here is a link on scores and consumers done recently by the goverment.

http://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201209_Analysis_Differences_Consumer_Credit.pdf

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.