Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Debt Management Hurt your Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why does Debt Management Hurt your Credit

granny, do you know where the term "wage earner program" comes from?  I haven't heard the term before.
Message 11 of 15
sl
Established Contributor

I was in a DMP and still have $650 to go. I had two Chase cads and AMEX in mine. AMEX is the only one that made reference to a DMP and said it was being handled by a Consumer Management Program. When I finished the program with AMEX, they deleted the trade all together and I had 4 late pays on it. I was still able to get CAP one and HSBC when that was on my CB.

Today I have two AMEX cards - Blue and Platinum. Blue has a CL of $6K and Platinum is no preset spending limit.

In my eyes, it enhanced my life in many ways, got control of my credit and got decent cards now.

When I started back in 2004 by Fico averaged 535 they are now all in the 700's.
Message 12 of 15
marty56
Super Contributor

sl wrote:
In my eyes, it enhanced my life in many ways, got control of my credit and got decent cards now.

Same for me,  The DMP also forced me to use a budget which I am still using.  It is great to finally get control of ones credit.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to chime in here too.  Before I went into the DMP, I was over $50K in debt.  I paid and paid and paid on these accounts, but because of the interest rates, late fees and over-limit fees, I was having to pay, the balance barely budged in four years.  Finally, we couldn't take it anymore and went to see CCCS (I would recommend to anyone considering this).  Now, 28 months later, our debt is down to $22K because the interest rates have been lowered on most - eliminated on some.  We will be debt free in about 18 months.  If we hadn't gone into the program, we would probably still owe about $50K and probably have to file for BK.  Has it had any effect on our CRs?  I don't believe it has because we are paying through a DMP.  Maybe because some of our accounts have been closed.  There are comments from creditors that we are paying through a credit counseling program, but they delete after being paid off.  Going into a DMP forces you to live on a budget.  I consider it a new lease on life.  My scores are now TU - 621, EQ - 644, EX - 592. 

I know I am going to be writing a lot of GW letters, but considering what I have been through, I'm surprised my scores are as high as they are. I'm going to be putting together a GW letter today because Sears MC never showed our account current and continues to show the account 30 days late, every month.  I believe this is why EX is 592.  I was stupid for not pulling my report before now (1/31/08).  I now have hope. 

Good luck on what you decide to do, but I don't believe my DMP hurt my credit - it was already hurt.  I don't have any 'wage earner plan' comments on my CRs.  The comments placed in my files about being paid through a DMP didn't come from CCCS, but through the CCC's themselves.  Good luck!!!

Message Edited by OneDayOneDay on 02-03-2008 09:47 AM
Message 14 of 15
fused
Moderator Emeritus

As far as FICO scoring is concerned, being in a DMP has no ill affect on scores. If the DM companies pays anything late then, yes, this will hurt your scores.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.