Regular Contributor
trc1962

Why does a criminal background check ding my credit?

I am new to the forum-hoping to find answers to some questions I have. My question is why does a criminal background check ding your credit? I am a teacher and when I applied for a job last summer in a different district they had to do a background check with finger prints to determine I was not a criminal -which is expected. What I did not expect was for it to hurt my credit score. I was not applying for a credit card, loan or borrowing money, I was applying for a job. Is this legal? It doesn't seem write, ding your credit score when you are applying for a job? That should be a good thing. I appreciate any answers or suggestions anyone has-thanks!!

Valued Contributor
takeshi74

Re: Why does a criminal background check ding my credit?

[ Edited ]

Look into section 604 of the FCRA.  It lists permissible purposes for pulling credit reports.  Employment is one of them.  A hard pull does have a negative impact.  However, the impact is relatively small and the effect falls off quickly.

trc1962 wrote:

It doesn't seem write, ding your credit score when you are applying for a job? That should be a good thing.

Don't just assume no matter what the topic.

Mega Contributor
RobertEG

A criminal background check per se is not a pull of your CR, it is a check of court/law enforcement databases.

Pull of a consumer's credit report for employment purposes is authorized under FCRA 604, but only if the consumer has been specifically advised, and gives written consent.

It is separately codes as EMP, not as a credit check.

New Visitor
misterfreckles

Every inquiry into your credit reduces your score by a few points. The inquiry can be disputed. In most instances these have not been addressed because the enquirer, unless it is a creditor, has no skin in the game and is not likely to respond to a bureau verification request.
New Visitor
misterfreckles

I recall as a receiver having checked one gentleman's credit about twenty times. His score dropped substantially.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}