cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my credit score so low, very frustrating process!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Why is my credit score so low, very frustrating process!

Great advice, thanks.   I should have joined this forum a long time ago. 

This is what I'm doing now:

Paying off the 2nd credit card, the other card will have a <9% credit utilization.  2 Cards $0 Balance, One at $250.

One poster said I have enough lines of credit/loans open (4) and don't need any more, I tend to agree because the moment I apply for another account my score will dip.  My rating is already "FAIR" according to Discover Card and while I understand they aren't accurate I'm not happy about it.

Last question

I have an installment loan (3 years, $1,000) and just brought the balance down to $350, should I just pay it off now or continue with the $32 monthly payments to build my history? 

Message 11 of 18
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Great advice, thanks.   I should have joined this forum a long time ago. 

This is what I'm doing now:

Paying off the 2nd credit card, the other card will have a <9% credit utilization.  2 Cards $0 Balance, One at $250.

One poster said I have enough lines of credit/loans open (4) and don't need any more, I tend to agree because the moment I apply for another account my score will dip.  My rating is already "FAIR" according to Discover Card and while I understand they aren't accurate I'm not happy about it.

Last question

I have an installment loan (3 years, $1,000) and just brought the balance down to $350, should I just pay it off now or continue with the $32 monthly payments to build my history? 

I think you should just pay off the installment loan.  I've never completely understood whether mix of credit involves open lines or whether closed lines count (I have so many student loans I'll never have to worry about not having installment debt).  But I don't see the point of taking out loans just for the purpose of having open installment loans.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 18
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

As to the installment loan, I would just continue paying it on schedule. FICO also likes to see "A mix of credit - that includes credit cards and installment loans". The lack of an installment loan is not going to have a truly adverse impact but since it's already open then just leave it that way. Once it is paid off and closed it should remain on your credit report for up to ten years as a positive tradeline.

As previous posters have already said, ignore Discovers monitoring service advice and EVALUATION of your credit. The scores have no meaning relative to FICO scores. You can use the reports you pull from there to monitor what is being reported to the bureaus and ensure it is correct. If you want to know where your credit stands and what a lender would see then invest the money and pull your TU and EQ scores from here. As others have said you may be pleasantly surprised what your real scores are if in fact there is no negative information in your files.Smiley Wink

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Message 13 of 18
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Walt_K wrote:

I think you should just pay off the installment loan.  I've never completely understood whether mix of credit involves open lines or whether closed lines count (I have so many student loans I'll never have to worry about not having installment debt).  But I don't see the point of taking out loans just for the purpose of having open installment loans.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree. My advice (with few exceptions) is to always pay off any debt as fast as possible as long as you don't deplete savings. Being debt free should be your #1 goal with score considerations a very distant second. And never apply for credit you don't need.

Also closed accounts are counted into credit mix although open, active accounts are weighed more heavily.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

No to get off the topic here but in refernce with what MarineVietVet was saying how often would you say you should use a card that you don't really use too often anyway just for something to show up from time to time and then pay it off?  For instance I haven't used my Navy Fed credit card in like 7 months or so, would you say that useing it every 3 months for  a tank of gas letting that sit on the card for like a month so it hit's your credit then paying it off is showing activity on it?  I know credit is a slippery slope but I think that's a sound theory isn't it?

Message 15 of 18
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No to get off the topic here but in refernce with what MarineVietVet was saying how often would you say you should use a card that you don't really use too often anyway just for something to show up from time to time and then pay it off?  For instance I haven't used my Navy Fed credit card in like 7 months or so, would you say that useing it every 3 months for  a tank of gas letting that sit on the card for like a month so it hit's your credit then paying it off is showing activity on it?  I know credit is a slippery slope but I think that's a sound theory isn't it?

You should use the card occasionally so that it doesn't get shut down by the issuer.  But that's not what I think you are asking.  I think you're asking specifically about letting the balance report.  I've read that a card that repeatedly reports a $0 balance gets ignored for utlization, but I'm not sure how accurate that is.  I've also read about people being dinged when they use a card that has sat "dormant" for a while, i.e., FICO hasn't seen a balance.  Let's put it this way, what you're suggesting can't hurt you.  Even if it dropped your score a few points because you fell outside your FICO sweetspot, you'd be right back there the next month.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

On the topic of the 620 - established to be a FAKO - I am really starting to get a sense that FAKOs are primarily designed to encourage consumers to take on more credit obligations... In this case, we all think the only real issue is the somewhat thin profile. Not really a big deal, but 620? I'm guessing the primary advice on the website in questions is, "You need more credit" or something to that effect.

I wonder what the advice here is, just out of curiosity. This is just a theory.

EDIT: Especially the case of something like Credit Karma, where it's revenue model is generating credit applications.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you walt yes you hit the nail on the head I suppose I was not being very articulate when I tried to explain what I was attempting to ask.  You get me though and thank you for the reply.  I was kind of thinking that it wouldn't really hurt me at all just figured I would at least rotate useing the cards since just even haveing them with high limits is part of your score so I would hate for them to lie dormant for to long and get shut off or closed for some reason.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.