cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is something on Fico but not Equifax?

tag
pipergirl71
New Contributor

Why is something on Fico but not Equifax?

Hi everyone,

You guys are always so helpful that I thought I'd ask.  I have something showing up as a baddie on my MyFico report (I have ScoreWatch for Equifax))- it is a medical bill that is showing delinquent and unpaid.  I clicked, and went to Equifax's dispute page, and it doesn't come up anywhere as a disputable item.

SO.  Does this mean that a medical bill/expense is not disputable (I'm 90% sure I paid that debt), or is something going haywire elsewhere?  On the MyFico page, it doesn't even give a "real" creditor name.  This is how it reads:  The collection agency "728YC00000" was hired to collect a debt of $100 on account number "XXXXXXX". 

I just think it's strange that it's showing up on the MyFico page, but I can't dispute it through Equifax.  Thanks for your help!

EQ 702
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Involver
Valued Contributor

Re: Why is something on Fico but not Equifax?

728YC00000 is a masked name for the collection agency.  You can't dispute it through the FICO report because the agency is not properly identified.

If you can, pull your Equifax report directly from them and the creditor should be identified.  You should also be able to dispute it if you order it through them.

Message 2 of 5
Lechte
Frequent Contributor

@pipergirl71 wrote:

Hi everyone,

You guys are always so helpful that I thought I'd ask.  I have something showing up as a baddie on my MyFico report (I have ScoreWatch for Equifax))- it is a medical bill that is showing delinquent and unpaid.  I clicked, and went to Equifax's dispute page, and it doesn't come up anywhere as a disputable item.

SO.  Does this mean that a medical bill/expense is not disputable (I'm 90% sure I paid that debt), or is something going haywire elsewhere?  On the MyFico page, it doesn't even give a "real" creditor name.  This is how it reads:  The collection agency "728YC00000" was hired to collect a debt of $100 on account number "XXXXXXX". 

I just think it's strange that it's showing up on the MyFico page, but I can't dispute it through Equifax.  Thanks for your help!

If it's not showing up on your CR where you can dispute items....(Personal Info, Accounts, Negative Accounts, Inquiries)...then it isn't on your report, as far as I know.  More than likely, SW decided to act like a brat hole and gave you a false alert just to get you worked up.    FYI, Medical accounts are disputable.

(EX08 - 654) --- (TU08 - 643) --- (EQ08 - 667) --- (EQ04 - 676)

Message 3 of 5
Lechte
Frequent Contributor

@Involver wrote:

728YC00000 is a masked name for the collection agency.  You can't dispute it through the FICO report because the agency is not properly identified.

If you can, pull your Equifax report directly from them and the creditor should be identified.  You should also be able to dispute it if you order it through them.

You can dispute items via a link provided near the bottom of your myFICO report.

(EX08 - 654) --- (TU08 - 643) --- (EQ08 - 667) --- (EQ04 - 676)

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There are limits on what you can dispute under the direct dispute process, which explicityly excludes direct disputes related to inquiries, public record information, and personal identifier information.

However, the CRA dispute process applies to "any item of information contained in a consumer's file at a consumer reporting agency."

Any credit report issued by anyone only includes informattion that the vendor of the report choses to include.  It never includes all information in your credit file.

If any automated dispute system chooses to restrict how or what you can dispute, you can always send a dispute via mail to the CRA, and it can contest the accuracy or completeness of any item of information in your file.

Similarly, if there is any information that you know or suspect is in your credit file, but is not shown in credit reports you obtain (DOFD and a stated permisible purpose provided in a credit inquiry are common examples), you can always, under the provision of FCRA 609(a)(1), require the CRA to provide you that information, provided you include proof of your address and the required processing fee for section 609(a)(1) requests, which is currently $11.00.

As an aside, you might reconsider even disputing via a CRA if your dispute relates to information covered under the direct dispute process.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.