cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Consolidating my student loans affect my credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will Consolidating my student loans affect my credit score?

As the title says, will consolidating my student loans negatively affect my credit rating? It is very good at the moment and I have no problem paying the loans but consolidating them gets me a better interest rate and lower monthly payments. I have 10 days to decide if I will proceed with the consolidation or cancel it and could use some advice.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will Consolidating my student loans affect my credit score?

My credit score increased with consolidation I think it was around 30 points.   There are a lot of moving parts in the increase: closing a lot of small accounts, lowing the overall payment and showing a single account with a larger balance.

Message 2 of 4
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

As the title says, will consolidating my student loans negatively affect my credit rating? It is very good at the moment and I have no problem paying the loans but consolidating them gets me a better interest rate and lower monthly payments. I have 10 days to decide if I will proceed with the consolidation or cancel it and could use some advice.

Thanks

What is more important to you right now - saving money or preserving your credit score?  And what is your current FICO score?

When I consolidated my student loans a couple years ago, there was no discernible impact on my score.  I can't say for certain whether it had a specific effect, because there were a variety of fluctuations in my credit report that affected my score.  But there was no big drop.

For me, decision to consolidate was based on the fact that I could save a considerable amount of money on interest payments.  I didn't have any immediate need for new credit, so any effect on credit score was not a concern for me.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It makes a lot of financial sense, but I dont think it will improve your credit score.

If you "consolidate" the loans by taking out a new loan, you will probably add a new account to your credit report.  This will most likely lower your average age of accounts. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.