Established Contributor
rifleman

Will GoodWill work for this?

I have three installment (student) loans that were each past due once back in September of 2003--so it's been almost 4 years since any late payments.

Do you think I'll have any luck writing goodwill letters to the Lenders to get these late payments removed? I plan on saying it was because I lost my job (this is true) and I could not afford to pay them (needed to eat) between jobs.

Do you think they will be understanding? Anyone have success and/or bad stories of GW letters working?
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

Re: Will GoodWill work for this?

Sallie Mae?
Established Contributor
dog

[ Edited ]
i rehabbed my sl's and sallie mae wouldn't give me a gw delete on the lates for love nor money...but the accounts dropped when i did a dv.  of course the accounts had been closed and refi'ed when i disputed.

Message Edited by dog on 06-20-2007 02:12 PM
Established Contributor
rifleman

No Sallie-MAe The three loans are serviced by a company called ACS and the loans are as follows:

ACS/1ST MARBLEHEAD EDU
BRAZOS
AFSA/BRAZO
Established Contributor
rifleman

so you see basically my lenders are not sallie mae
Established Contributor
rifleman

oh well, I called ACS, they said to FAX them the goodwill letter and they will think about it--

There must be someone out there who has had experience with Goodwill letter writing for student loans...
Valued Member
motoracer

if i consalidate my loans and the new lender decides after the loan is payed off to remove the lates will the sallie mae lates be removed as well?
Established Contributor
dog

no.
Valued Member
CHall

Im sending off a GW tomorrow for some older student loan accts that are serviced with EDFINANCIAL.  I'll let you kow how it goes.
Frequent Contributor
jenkins

my student loan went to 120 days late and i refi'ed it and when it was paid off they removed all the late payments.  Im dealing with sallie mae now i missed a few payments when i left for basic military training and sent them a GW letter and am waiting for them to respond now. I guess it all depends on the company.

Starting Score: 643
Current Score: 657
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}