cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will being added to a family members report help your FICO?

tag
TeeGee
Contributor

Will being added to a family members report help your FICO?

I recently added my son to one of my cards as a user (no card for him tho) to help his credit score.  Not really sure if it did, but my daughter has excellent credit.  Anyone know if she added me as a user to one of her highest limit cards if it would help my FICO score?  Thx in advance.

Amex $6K BankofAmer $2K CapPlatinum $2.5K Macys $1K Chase RR $16K CapQS $2.5K Discover $8.5K IN THE GARDEN til 6/1/2015
Beginning FICO 630 ish EQ 732/EXP 735/TU 753 (Aug) Goal 800
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Will being added to a family members report help your FICO?

If it is older than your oldest and clean it will help.

If it is not as old your AAoA will be recalculated with the card.

It would help your utilization if you have few revolving or high balances.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Will being added to a family members report help your FICO?

If you have a solid score, I would generally not advise adding an AU to your report, even if it has a long, clean history.

By adding an account that is not yours, your score is then no longer representative of only your own personal credit history.

In any future app for credit, if the creditor chooses to do a manual review of your CR, they will see that your score is not based only on your own credit history.

They have no way to back out that account, and produce a score that is representative of only your own personal history.  It could thus place into question the entire value of your score in their determination.

On the flip side, adding an AU can be beneficial to consumers who are building or rebuilding, and thus normally apping for lower amounts of credit.

Many creditors will look only or primarily at the applicant's score if the risk is low, thus making their determiantion process simple and cheap.

Such reviews may never involve a manual review, and thus the recipient of an AU can benefit by securing lower amounts of credit.

If you are not in that mode, I would seriously question adding an account of another to your report and scoring.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.