cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will sale of home affect my credit score?

Will sale of home affect my credit score?

I will be selling my home and moving to a new town shortly.  Over the next 6-12 months, I will be renting while saving up enough for a down payment and rebuilding my credit so that my middle credit score (EX: 687) is over 700.  I was playing around with a score simulator on some website and it showed a loss of points if i no longer had a mortgage.  Can someone please confirm what, if any, impact paying off my mortgage will have on my credit score?

Thanks

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Will sale of home affect my credit score?

0nortled wrote:

I will be selling my home and moving to a new town shortly.  Over the next 6-12 months, I will be renting while saving up enough for a down payment and rebuilding my credit so that my middle credit score (EX: 687) is over 700.  I was playing around with a score simulator on some website and it showed a loss of points if i no longer had a mortgage.  Can someone please confirm what, if any, impact paying off my mortgage will have on my credit score?

Thanks

Hello and welcome.

You might lose a few points because scoring likes to see a mix of credit but closed accounts are still factored into that mix and credit mix is only 10% of your total score anyway.

It's not something I would personally be concerned about.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 2