cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will there always be an OC if there's a CA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will there always be an OC if there's a CA?

I recently pulled my CR from all 3 bureaus on annualcreditreport.com. All 3 bureaus show a CA from US Cellular but US Cellular does not show up on my report from any of the 3 bureaus, just the CA.  My wife and I are closing on our first house in March and when our mortgage lender pulled my credit he said that there was a duplicate entry on my report....he said this duplicate was from US Cellular and the CA for them.  I asked which bureau was reporting it twice and he said he was unsure but thought he remembered it being Equifax.  My question is why wouldnt this duplicate show up on my report when I pulled my CR myself?  Also wouldn't US Cellular show up on my credit report as a seperate entry being the OC before it was sent to the CA? Any ideas?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Will there always be an OC if there's a CA?

It is not a duplicate entry.

OCs can report activities under their account.  If they refer the debt for collection or sell the debt, the debt collector can also report their collection on the debt.

Even though they appear as "duplicate," being based on the same debt, they are in fact separate reporting of separate activities.

Really no different than an OC reporting multiple delinquencies on the same debt.

The OC can choose not to report on their account, and when a debt collector becomes involved, they make their own decision regarding reporting.

Either party can choose to report to any number of CRAs they wish, including none.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

RobertEG...thanks thats good to know. I guess I am confused because our mortgage lender said it showed up twice but when I pulled my CR it only shows the CA not the OC. So I am curious as to where he is seeing it twice?  Any ideas? If something is posted twice in relation to the same account will it hurt your scores twice as much?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

RobertEG...thanks thats good to know. I guess I am confused because our mortgage lender said it showed up twice but when I pulled my CR it only shows the CA not the OC. So I am curious as to where he is seeing it twice?  Any ideas? If something is posted twice in relation to the same account will it hurt your scores twice as much?

Thanks!

Can't answer the second part with any degree of accuracy; however, for mortgages you typically will see all three major bureau reports pulled and merged together.  Quite likely it's reporting differently on one of the three in this case would be my guess as the disparity.

        
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.