Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wisconsin Resident question

tag
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Wisconsin Resident question

I was approved two weeks ago for a Hilton Honors AMEX, which is my first AMEX and my first new card since my wife and I moved to Wisconsin.  I got a letter from them last week that says they are required to inform my wife that I applied for an AMEX and requiring her to sign that the she knows about it.  Failure to respond if I'm married is grounds for card cancellation.  Is this something I'm going to have to do every time I get a card for as long as we live here?

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wisconsin Resident question

I believe so - there are a couple of states that require the spouse be aware of any credit taken out by either person.

Message 2 of 6
colinstu
Regular Contributor

I've been same-sex married for over a year and neither of us have been notified about each others credit applications or having to sign extra paperwork. 

We live together however. 

Did your address not match her address? Maybe that's a factor? 

FICOs: TU 775 | EQ 784 | EX 773
Amex BCE $15,000 | Discover IT $11,600 | Chase Freedom $7,000 (Visa Sig) | Citi DoubleCash $6,000 (WEMC) | Chase AARP $6,000 | Barclaycard CashForward $4,000 | Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 | Capital One Quicksilver $1,750
Message 3 of 6
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Since this involves community property laws I've moved the thread to get better exposure.

--UB

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Wisconsin law provides that no provision of a marital property agreement, unilateral statement under Section 766.59, Wisconsin Statutes, or a court decree under Section 766.70, Wisconsin Statutes, affecting marital property adversely affects the interest of a creditor, unless the creditor receives a copy of the agreement, statement or decree prior to granting the credit or unless the creditor has actual knowledge of the adverse provision when the obligation to the creditor is incurred

Message 5 of 6
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

I wonder which other states require your spouse to sign when you apply for credit. Probably not all community property states.

And are there any states requiring authorized users to sign to signal they have been informed of the card being added?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.