cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would I need to write a DV letter and how?

tag
php111
Regular Contributor

Would I need to write a DV letter and how?

Hey, I'm new to the forums and don't know much about credit. I have on my credit report an open collections account from Sprint that I did authorize but it was never paid and its been a few years. The CA is Convergent Outsourcing. I am going to provide in this thread the information to that account. Would I need to write a DV letter? If yes, how do I write a DV letter? And if I write a DV letter, does that mean it would be removed from my credit report even though I owe them and it would be removed without paying them? Is that how a DV letter works?

CONVERGENT OUTSOURCING INC

Dispute Item

Agency Address: 800 SW 39th St

Renton, WA 98057-4975

(800) 444-8485

Date Reported: 01/2014

Date Assigned: 03/2012

Creditor Classification:

Creditor Name: SPRINT

Account Number: 8961XXXX

Account Owner: Individual Account.

Original Amount Owned: $778

Date of 1 st Delinquency: 06/2010

Balance Date: 01/2014

Balance Owned: $778

Last Payment Date:

Status Date: 01/2014

Comments: N/A

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Would I need to write a DV letter and how?

Hi and welcome to the forums.

A DV letter would be something simple like:  You are reporting this alleged debt, account #____.  Per FDCPA 809, please validate.  Also include the name and address of the OC and an itemization of the alleged debt."

A debt validation is supposed to keep collection agencies from pursuing the wrong person for a debt.  They only need to tell you who is currently reporting and the amount.  If you asked for the name and address of the OC and itemization they must provide that also.

They do not ever have to respond, just cannot continue collection activity until they do.

Though many will delete after receiving a DV, no they do not have to.  And if they did it will probably be sent back to the OC or to another collection agency.

If you cannot pay the debt in full I would not send a DV if it is still within your states suing SOL.  If they validated and you could not pay that may lead them to bring a suit.

If you know it is your debt I would reach out to the OC and see if you paid them would they have the debt recalled from the CA. 

Message 2 of 15
php111
Regular Contributor

Thank you so much! And what should be done since I can't pay any of it and what could be done to remove it from my credit file within all 3 CRAs?

Message 3 of 15
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Unless it is paid you have very little leverage.  You will have to wait for the 7.5 years to expire for it to be excluded.

Message 4 of 15
php111
Regular Contributor

And if its never paid, I mean nothing, here are a few questions.

1.) if nothing is paid meaning $0, and the full $778 is still owed. After 7.5 years than would my score and credit rating would get better over time meaning its still unpaid?

2.) if a balance is still owed than would it still come off of my report in 7.5 years? Or would it stay on my report forever until the full balance is paid?

Message 5 of 15
php111
Regular Contributor

The information to the collection account I posted in my OP came from my Equifax credit report, and exactly when will it come off of my report?

Message 6 of 15
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@php111 wrote:

And if its never paid, I mean nothing, here are a few questions.

1.) if nothing is paid meaning $0, and the full $778 is still owed. After 7.5 years than would my score and credit rating would get better over time meaning its still unpaid?  After 7.5 years from the date of first delinquency (DoFD) it will be removed from your CR and your score could raise.

2.) if a balance is still owed than would it still come off of my report in 7.5 years? Or would it stay on my report forever until the full balance is paid?  It will be excluded from the CRs that others see.  Meaning, upaid debt never goes away.  It will still be in your credit file, just not visible when someone requests your CR.  And in certain situations, lenders will be able to see it.  Such as applying for a mortgage of $150,000 or more, insurance of $150,000 or more or a job with annual income of $75,000.  They could ask for your full and factual report where that unpaid debt will be listed.

Message 7 of 15
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@php111 wrote:

The information to the collection account I posted in my OP came from my Equifax credit report, and exactly when will it come off of my report?

That has a DoFD of 6/2010 so, anywhere between 6/2017 and 12/2017.

Message 8 of 15
php111
Regular Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@php111 wrote:

That has a DoFD of 6/2010 so, anywhere between 6/2017 and 12/2017.

Would you recommend paying pieces at a time online on their website?  The website is http://convergentusa.com/ and when I tried to create a new account and it prompted me for a Temp ID#, and I'm not sure what that is or even where to find it.

Message 9 of 15
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Another reason why sending a DV might not be advisable is if you intend to pursue a PFD or settlement.

If your DV is timely, it invokes an automatic cease collection bar on a debt collector until such time as they choose to provide verification.

That bar prevents them from any negotiation of terms until they have firsr verified.

If the debt is legit, all they need to provide is a statement that they have investigated and have obtained basis for stating the debt is valid.

They need not provide documentation or prove the legitimacy, so verification is not difficult if they have basis.  Until they choose to do so, you are in collection limbo.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.