cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you want a credit report when considering marriage?

tag
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Would you want a credit report when considering marriage?

ObsessedwithmyFico wrote:
And by the way...If you put me in a room full of men..I will pick the brokest one with the most children and the most issues...hands down...

Our luck we would get the brother sister combo.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 21 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's not funny Marty...that has been my luck so far...Smiley Mad
Message 22 of 50
demi
Established Contributor

I would say its important to discuss, and if someone is evasive, that would be a red flag and I would want to see the report.   Like others have said, if someone has good reasons, or even if they want to fix it, then I think it would be ok.  Its the ignore, or I didn't do anything wrong type I would run away from.

But, remember, to be true to the general thread throughout this whole site...the actual score doesn't mean a whole lot.

Starting Score: EQ 679, TU 697
Current Score: EQ 680, TU 672
Goal Score: EQ 720, TU 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 23 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

My cousin dumped her fiance a month before their wedding because he neglected to tell her about his jacked up credit history.

So yes, it matters a lot to some people.
Message 24 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

But yes, I think it's VERY IMPORTANT. Nobody wants to verbally say that finance is a part of romance. But it is to some degree.

Would you rather be someone who knows how to manage money? And makes sure the bills are paid on time?

Or would you rather be with someone who chooses to spend the mortgage money on dumb sh*t, and then before you know it, the bank is calling you non-stop threatening to kick you out of the house??
Message 25 of 50
HikingFICOMountain
New Contributor

YES!!! Compare credit situations. Confessing everlasting love is wonderful, but  marriage is as much as a financial contract as it is spiritual.

Message Edited by HikingFICOMountain on 06-04-2008 01:03 PM
~Four steps to achievement: Plan purposefully. Prepare prayerfully. Proceed positively. Pursue persistently~
Message 26 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is a local radio show that does a segment called The Love Trap.  People call in with suspicions that their signifigant other is having an affair.  Yesterday I listened to one where the woman said her fiance has been acting strange for the last month.  She calls his work and he never calls her back, his cell phone is going right to voicemail, he barely talks with her and she thinks something's going on.  They are getting married next month.

So, the radio station calls him and says he won a free bouquet of flowers to send to anyone and he chooses to send them to his fiance.  She speaks up on the phone and asks him what's going on, why is he avoiding her?

He confesses that he lost his job a month ago and was hoping to get another job before the wedding.  He was afraid of what she would say if he told her.  He said he didn't know if they should go through with the wedding, they shouldn't start out this way.

She said, "I want my wedding."

He said, "Do you want to start our marriage $30k in debt?"

She said, "I don't care.  There's always going to be debt."

Whoa... I see why he didn't want to tell her.  She was more concerned about the wedding than about him and how he was doing with losing his job.  And the casual attitude towards debt is a whole other issue on top of that.  That sounds like a person that will do whatever they want and dang the consequences.
Message 27 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

That guy should turn and RUN!! I made the mistake of marrying someone who liked to throw away all collection notices after she maxed out her CC's. 5 years after the divorce I am finally getting my credit back in order. I agree with the others that marriage is very much a financial decision and should be treated as such.
Message 28 of 50
marty56
Super Contributor

Bunky wrote:
My cousin dumped her fiance a month before their wedding because he neglected to tell her about his jacked up credit history.

So yes, it matters a lot to some people.

Sounds like my EX-finace.  I wonder if she back at her old trciks again.  I think I will start a club  for former low FICO achievers who have been judged unfairly by current and former spouses or finaces who have fixed or are in the process of fixing their credit.

Dont think you and your cousin will be joining though.  Unless she gave her ex a fair chance to change before dumping him.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 29 of 50
katecrime
New Contributor

i would never asked to see my sweetie's CR.  who am i to judge?  am i credit jesus now?  we've been living together for two years.  i know his habits, including his financial ones.  if i couldn't pick up on that by now, i'd be a total moron.  i am not a total moron.

if he had mistakes in his past, so be it.  who hasn't made mistakes, financial or otherwise?  for me it's what's going on in the here and now.

besides, being in humungous debt can happen through no bad character traits of your own.  big medical bills, crappy real estate market, etc, etc and you would know those things if you paid the slightest bit of attention to your sweetie, then make your decision.

and finally, how many of us here are fighting mistakes, id theft or what have you on our own CRs.  are we really prepared to put total faith in CRAs when it comes to someone else but not ourselves?
Message 30 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.