Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wow. Did not know I was such a bad person

H

Message 21 of 25
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

I've been following this thread from the sidelines, primarily because I'm intrigued by the definition of moral turpitude, especially as related to your attempts to establish a financial relationship with USAA.

John060675, I noticed that you have a handful of recent threads that refer to collections and judgments.  These include an apartment lease that was sent to collections and a judgment or lawsuit from Amex for a fairly substantial amount of money.  I wonder if USAA is looking at this as being some reflection of your "morals" with regard to debt or financial management.  As has been mentioned, the term "moral turpitude" is quite pejorative, and it doesn't seem clear to me that having collections would rise to the level of moral turpitude.  But maybe this is the reason that underlies USAA's decision.

I'm not trying to flame or assign blame.  I'm just trying to understand what's happened to you.

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lel wrote:

I've been following this thread from the sidelines, primarily because I'm intrigued by the definition of moral turpitude, especially as related to your attempts to establish a financial relationship with USAA.

John060675, I noticed that you have a handful of recent threads that refer to collections and judgments.  These include an apartment lease that was sent to collections and a judgment or lawsuit from Amex for a fairly substantial amount of money.  I wonder if USAA is looking at this as being some reflection of your "morals" with regard to debt or financial management.  As has been mentioned, the term "moral turpitude" is quite pejorative, and it doesn't seem clear to me that having collections would rise to the level of moral turpitude.  But maybe this is the reason that underlies USAA's decision.

I'm not trying to flame or assign blame.  I'm just trying to understand what's happened to you.

Maybe I wasn't giving it my full attention, but from what I read on this one thread was that John only had one problem with PenFed on his credit report. 

If there are other issues like additional collections / judgments, then maybe USAA has an argument, though I probably still would not use the phrase they did.

Message 23 of 25
John060675
Valued Contributor

Lel and O6,

Yes, I thought of this also.  I do have some charge offs and one collection.  I hit a rough patch, and that is something I am working on correcting.

Having said this, I definitely do not think it should be thought of as moral turpitude.  If they would have said they could not open it due to a bad credit rating, then that would have been 100% fine.  I am probably wrong in my viewpoint, but because a person loses his job and is down on his luck, thus having the inability to pay his credit card payments and apartment rent, is not moral turpitude.  It is bad planning and living beyond my means.

Either way, I am not going to contact USAA about it anymore.  They stated they will not change their mind EVER about accepting me, and that is their decision.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@John060675 wrote:

Lel and O6,

Yes, I thought of this also.  I do have some charge offs and one collection.  I hit a rough patch, and that is something I am working on correcting.

Having said this, I definitely do not think it should be thought of as moral turpitude.  If they would have said they could not open it due to a bad credit rating, then that would have been 100% fine.  I am probably wrong in my viewpoint, but because a person loses his job and is down on his luck, thus having the inability to pay his credit card payments and apartment rent, is not moral turpitude.  It is bad planning and living beyond my means.

I totally agree with you. 

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.