cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Balances on Credit cards reported.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wrong Balances on Credit cards reported.

I need some advise.  While trying to rebuild my Fico scores, I was doing very well.  However, this morning, I recevied a notification that my score had dropped 10 point on all bureaus because my credit card balances went up.  At this point my cards are at $0.00. Infact to make sure no one was using my cards I called my three CC company to verify. They all answered that I have a zero balance. How can I get my points back??

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Wrong Balances on Credit cards reported.

@Anonymous wrote:

I need some advise.  While trying to rebuild my Fico scores, I was doing very well.  However, this morning, I recevied a notification that my score had dropped 10 point on all bureaus because my credit card balances went up.  At this point my cards are at $0.00. Infact to make sure no one was using my cards I called my three CC company to verify. They all answered that I have a zero balance. How can I get my points back??

Get exactly one credit card to report a few dollars.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/How-do-I-play-the-1-9-Utilization-Game-Please-Help/m-p/2471257#M199479

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Welcome to the forums.  Ignore the reason listed for the points drop.  There is no correlation between an alert and your score.  The reason your scores dropped is because all of your balances are reporting zero.  I know it's counter intuitive but the FICO 08 scoring model punishes you if all CCs report $0.  You want one of the cards to report a small balance and the other two  can be at $0.  Your points will return when this happens.   Hope this helps.

Message 3 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What was the notification that your card balances had gone up? Which source?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your qucik response and for welcoming me to the forum.  As for the balances on my 3 cards. I have used them to keep the systemin positve for that same reason. I had previously been told that my score would run the risk of coming down if I didnt use my cc. However, I was advised by as to what days and or dates the CC company report to the bureaus, so I have been paying the cards in full before they report a change. Is this not a good idea? I.E. I use my card from start of month and pay by the 25th because they report on the 29th of each month. Did i do the wrong thing here. Im trying to get a mortgage loan approval this month.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that my scores had gone up and the sources were Transunion and Equifax..  The notification came from myfico.com

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOrry not my scores but my balances.... 

Message 7 of 16
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

What's the exact wording of myFICO saying your balances went up? Welcome from me as well.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

"The balance on one of your accounts has changed by 100%"      -10 points.    

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

"The balance on one of your accounts has changed by 100%"      -10 points.    

That doesn't mean balances went up.  The reason you lost the points is because of what I pointed out before.  They will return very quickly so I wouldn't stress too much over this.  Credit scores will fluctuate all the time and you will have ups and downs but overtime they will go up or down based on how you use and pay the cards. If you get too hung up on minor ups and downs you'll drive yourself crazy.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.