Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Name on Credit Report

tag
awal
Regular Contributor

Wrong Name on Credit Report

I noticed this morning that EQ has a new "Also Known As" name listed wrong. If I file an online dispute to get this discrepancy fixed will this in anyway impact my score?

I think the discrepancy is from a Student Loan account I paid off last month posting.

Starting Scores: 
Current Scores:  
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wrong Name on Credit Report

Names or other demographic info aren't a part of FICO scoring. Now if a dispute is made with the TL (as opposed to the CRA and the name on your report), then that alone can impact FICO scoring, though not so much on a loan. If that lender (or whomever) is reporting that new name, then a dispute could remove it, but it might reappear the following month. You'll have to do some investigative work to see who is reporting and then call them directly to get it fixed.

I'm about to go through the same as well. I opened a new TL and the inquiry sent info back to the CRA (EQ as well) and that inquiry has my name all wrong. I know once the new TL reports, then I'll have a new "other name" reporting monthly and will need to call the OC to get that sorted out.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.