Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrongful Collection Account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wrongful Collection Account

Hi,

I looked at my annual credit report two weeks ago and found one account in collection. I have never had such an account so I contacted transunion and experian and experian took it off my report where as transunion is still under investigation. How do I ensure that this wrong collections is off my credit report.

I also contacted the collection company (Enhanced Recovery Company, LLC) to have them remove this because this account is absolutely fraudelent but instead they just sent me a letter saying that it serves as a notice that "your delinquent account may be reported to the national credit bureaus". From my credit report, this went into collection in January 2014 and I only realzied now as I don't monitor my credit so very often unfortunately. 

Can someone tell me what should I do next? Do I need to hire an attorney or should I be able to handle this myself?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Re: Wrongful Collection Account

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I looked at my annual credit report two weeks ago and found one account in collection. I have never had such an account so I contacted transunion and experian and experian took it off my report where as transunion is still under investigation. How do I ensure that this wrong collections is off my credit report.

I also contacted the collection company (Enhanced Recovery Company, LLC) to have them remove this because this account is absolutely fraudelent but instead they just sent me a letter saying that it serves as a notice that "your delinquent account may be reported to the national credit bureaus". From my credit report, this went into collection in January 2014 and I only realzied now as I don't monitor my credit so very often unfortunately. 

Can someone tell me what should I do next? Do I need to hire an attorney or should I be able to handle this myself?

Thanks!

Try posting in the rebuilder forum.  The posters who know all of the rules for contesting hang out there..

From what I remember in reading, you will probably need to request a debt validation (DV) through the CRA's.  Details on how to go about it can be found in the threads:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Frequently-Requested-Threads/td-p/224981

Message 2 of 4
dursty87
Established Contributor

As the other poster mentioned, you would want to send a DV or debt validation letter.  However, DV's are sent to the collection agency reporting the debt and not the CRA's.  I also agree that you should head to the rebuilding forum.  Lots of knowlegeable members over there.  And I don't think you need to hrie an attorney, at least not yet Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 4
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

@ssondubs wrote:

As the other poster mentioned, you would want to send a DV or debt validation letter.  However, DV's are sent to the collection agency reporting the debt and not the CRA's.  I also agree that you should head to the rebuilding forum.  Lots of knowlegeable members over there.  And I don't think you need to hrie an attorney, at least not yet Smiley Happy

Thanks for correcting my post.  I am not really qualified to offer rebuilding advice.  However, the OP had sat there for a couple of days.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.