cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You have too many credit accounts. How do I get it reduced?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have too many credit accounts. How do I get it reduced?

Number of your credit accounts currently paid as agreed
40 accounts

I would agree with the 40 accounts, but I closed the majority of them.  To my knowledge, I only have 10 to 12 open accounts.  There are 5 accounts associated with morgages.  As I own 3 properties, 5 accounts for mortgages shouldn't be that much.  There are 4 to 7 accounts associated with credit cards.  There is 1 account associated with a student loan.  There is 1 utility company reporting.

It says "FICO High Achievers [?] have an average of 6 accounts currently paid as agreed."  Since this is hurting my FICO score, how do I reduce it?  About 7 of the 40 accounts were closed over 7 years ago in 1999.  About 3 or 4 mortgages have changed management companies.  Originally, my mortgage was with 1 company then they sell you to another company that sells you to another company.  Since I have done business with all of them, they report me using 3 different companies, but I never applied for another account.  During this period of time, I have had some credit cards replaced adding multiple accounts. 

With the utility company and mortgages, it would be at 6.  Other than applying for no new credit, how can I fix this?     
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
BallBounces
Valued Contributor

Re: You have too many credit accounts. How do I get it reduced?

Before answering, I would be curious to know what the score is.

050719:     
021924:     

FICO 08 scores listed and are stagnated until multiple derogatory items expire over the next two years.
Message 2 of 8
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I don't think you can, you just have to wait for the closed accounts to fall off...in 7 years.

I don't care what they say about mine....the credit cards I have, I need or use.  If *they* think I have too many, oh well.
Message 3 of 8
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

fishbjc wrote:
I don't think you can, you just have to wait for the closed accounts to fall off...in 7 years.

10 years for closed accounts in good standing.

Mine start dropping in October....
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Closed accounts drop from CR (good standing) 10 years & baddies 7 years!

I have 10 open account    5 closed     just closed 1 auto loan   refin isn't showing yet....the rest are all open CC      my scores are all in the 700+ range
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My FICO scores are Transunion - 676, EQ - 650, and EX - 624.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for the answer.  I thought all accounts were 7 years.
Message 7 of 8
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

I'm not sure, but I'd imagine if your mortgages were sold to different lenders, it might be possible to get some of the old ones deleted? Not sure like I said though.  I'm also not sure it'd help your score, if they're in good standing then they might not be doing you any real harm other than making manual reviews a PITA for whoever's reviewing it haha
Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.