cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your best or worst decision credit decision.

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Your best or worst decision credit decision.

Borrowing against home equity.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 11 of 60
msbia
Established Contributor

Best: Moving my USAA banking relationship to a credit relationship starting with a $250 secured card, and now with two car loans, a $29k credit product, and a now paid off personal loan. Always perfect customer service and great rates! USAA FSB has my Heart 

Worst: Using the heavily touted balance transfer offers from BOA last year then watching them AA my two accounts. 

Second best: Giving BOA another chance by not closing one of the accounts, and now they have restored the original credit line and recently given me an equal business credit card...so in six months I have more credit with them than I did before. 

Runner-up best: taking the advice of another poster and calling Citi to lower the APR on my new Hilton card. Over two weeks the card went from 19.49 down to a lower than advertised rate of 13.24! Love this forum! 

Personal Credit? Check. Business Credit? Check.
Mission Accomplished.
Thanks MyFico!
Message 12 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying off debts instead of going bk.
Message 13 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reading and learning from myfico. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 60
Samac
Regular Contributor

Not that I regret going to med school, but it's the absolute worst thing I've done for my credit. Already 50k+ in in year one, and they're being deferred but now I'm being rejected by everything because my "loan balance in proportion to loan amount is too high". This means I'll probably have no more available credit until I get down in 3 years. 🙃
Best decision? Who knows? I'm 22 and just working to make sure I PIF every month.
Message 15 of 60
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Top 3:

Learned to use a budget which changed my relationship with money. Now extremely debt adverse.

Joined PenFed, 1 EQU pull and multiple products

Joined CCCS in my early 20's and getting out of debt

Bottom 3:

Thought that credit was free money and that open credit was an invitation to spend

Not learning my lesson from CCCS and getting back into debt but at a much greater magnitude (more money, more credit, more debt)

Buying too many cars over the years. (Best re-sale Honda, Acura, Subaru, Worst Ford, Chevy, Chrysler)

Top/Bottom:

Being so active on myFICO forums (and others). Tons of good advice but also lots of temptations here. Luckily all of my decisions related to myFICO here has worked out for me.

Message 16 of 60
indiasnowden
Regular Contributor

Best decision: join myfico.com and educate myself about this shadow life ie. Credit profile that I barely knew anything about. Best thing I have done for myself.

Worst decision: opening a bunch of SCT accounts when my scores were close to breaking 700. My hospital went through several rounds of layoffs and I took a 25% paycut. Fell behind and my scores tanked. Just now broke through 600s. I am paying my largest MC off to combine with the smaller MC from Capital 1. Something else I found out about from here. Shortly, will start cleaning up my profile to get ready for a home equity LOC app late this year.

I bought my house by getting my FICO scores in line using advice from this site.

Unfortunately, I discovered Blisspay through this site.

Guess what I want for Xmas?

Starting Score: 'All three mid 500s as of 1/1/16
EQ: 633 6 TU: 644 EX: 634 as of 3/11/17 via MyFico
Goal Score: 650

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tamaralig wrote:

My worst decision was not taking credit seriously in my 20s...I would fix it and mess it up over and over back then.

My best decision is taking it seriously now in my 30s and making sure my kids see me doing it and doing it right so they have a better respect than myself. I personally have my sisters, my dad, DH and my mom all listening to me now about paying bills lol.

Isn't it crazy that money and finance is not stressed for the young people. It was not taught to me in my youth.

Message 18 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EdMan63 wrote:

My worst decision was letting the home of me and my ex wife go into default but that's a long story. I really had no choice but had I made a better decision during the divorce it wouldn't have fallen on me the way it did. But here I am 7 years later and I'm almost fully recovered and now I monitor my credit like a hawk. I didn't even look at for 5 years after the charge off cause I knew it was awful. I should have started rebuilding sooner but oh well. Taking control was my best decision. 

Sometimes it takes a jolt (divorce) before we are able to get serious. 

Message 19 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:
My best decision was joining Navy Federal. They literally have changed my life!! Even when I still had blemishes on my report, they were extremely generous to me. And set the bar for my other creditors to follow. I 💗 Navy Federal Credit Union!! Smiley Happy

My worst decision was waiting till my 40's to start taking credit seriously. I allowed my parents to scare me into a cash only existence. And that was a huge mistake! Smiley Sad

That is funny about your parents. My parents were the same. Credit was a sin. I think they had cards hidden somewhere in shame!

Message 20 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.