Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

aaoa calculation

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

aaoa calculation

so i did the math and even with my added new card my aaoa takes almost no hit! which is crazy. am i doing something wrong? 

i should be adding all accounts correct? i have no closed accounts. so lets see. im just copying and pasting from excel.

6,5,6,5,27,25,12,6,6,4 +1 month for new card and installment loan included think it counts since sep even though it was opened aug 30th. or in longer format 

5 Citizens
4 Citizens
1 Citizens
5 Freedom
4 Zync
26 Best Buy
24 Macy's
11 Kohls
5 American Eagle
5 Walmart
4 Toyota

(number is by months ive had the account counting from the first day of account)

so my aaoa goes from 9.8month to 9 months and then to 10 months next month? how does that even make sense. 

so if this is correct i just made the best desicon ever anyways, as only time will heal this. 

esentially i got an inq free 5k limit card and almost no aaoa hit. 

how is this possible. 

will be pulling my reports for sure in jan. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
oogy
Contributor

Re: aaoa calculation

It is because you have so many accounts with an already relatively low aaoa.  I didn't redo the math to check you, but that sounds about right.   If you've got 10 cards and you add one new one, the average is going to drop by about 10% (actually less than 10%) Which is basically what you're seeing here.  10% isn't all that much when the aaoa is already under 10 months - but if it was 10 years, you'd lose a year rather than a month. 

(Though losing 1 year off of 10 still leaves you with a 9 year aaoa, and you're better off than if you only had 4 accounts and lost 2 years by adding a new one...)

Starting over from scratch again February 28, 2023.
I have not used a single credit account since circumstances decimated my credit in '19&'20 and now have no open accounts on my report.
Message 2 of 8
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Although I get 8.5 months, it doesn't really matter. This is one of the reasons people advocate app sprees. the people worrying about the impact of new cards on AAoA atho typically those with a long AAoA and few accounts. I have 11student loans, all about 10 years old and all reporting twice (servicer changed), so don't see big changes either

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 3 of 8
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Well then looks like ill be just waiting for my second Amex app when I hit a year which is just after march (still get a years worth pf backdating)when 5 of my stupid inquiries age over a year.

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 4 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Per FICO scoring know that AAoA is always rounded down to the nearest whole number though it'll never go below one year. So, your AAoA is 1 year now. I didn't look at your math either, but if you have 10 months, your AAoA will change from 1 year to two years in 14 months provided nothing is added or removed. Be sure to include closed accounts too if not already factored in.

Message 5 of 8
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@llecs wrote:

Per FICO scoring know that AAoA is always rounded down to the nearest whole number though it'll never go below one year. So, your AAoA is 1 year now. I didn't look at your math either, but if you have 10 months, your AAoA will change from 1 year to two years in 14 months provided nothing is added or removed. Be sure to include closed accounts too if not already factored in.

hmm so to all creditors and fico its going to be 1 year until march of 14 awesome. 

might as well ask chase for the cli now then instead of august =)

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 6 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

It's always a YMMV on creditors. They each have their own standards when it comes to most recent credit, AAoA, length of history, etc.

Message 7 of 8
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@oogy wrote:

It is because you have so many accounts with an already relatively low aaoa.  I didn't redo the math to check you, but that sounds about right.   If you've got 10 cards and you add one new one, the average is going to drop by about 10% (actually less than 10%) Which is basically what you're seeing here.  10% isn't all that much when the aaoa is already under 10 months - but if it was 10 years, you'd lose a year rather than a month. 

(Though losing 1 year off of 10 still leaves you with a 9 year aaoa, and you're better off than if you only had 4 accounts and lost 2 years by adding a new one...)

Right, and of course the more accounts you have, the smaller the impact.  SO my CR shows around 40 open and closed accounts, so even with a new 20 year backdate from AMEX, the increase in AAOA isn't that dramatic.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.