Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

au off--score up or down?

tag
zaqxsw
Established Member

au off--score up or down?

i have 2 credit cards---$500 limit and $300 limit both utilizationat 10%          also am a au on wifes  credit card with $5,000 limit    but balance of $4700----when do au's get dropped ?  is her card helping with large cl  or hurting me with the high balance?  should i opt away from her card---my cards are 1 and 1.5 years old --hers is 5yearsold? do u see my dilemma---ty
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: au off--score up or down?

zaqxsw wrote:
i have 2 credit cards---$500 limit and $300 limit both utilizationat 10%          also am a au on wifes  credit card with $5,000 limit    but balance of $4700----when do au's get dropped ?  is her card helping with large cl  or hurting me with the high balance?  should i opt away from her card---my cards are 1 and 1.5 years old --hers is 5yearsold? do u see my dilemma---ty

This AU account will definitely tank your scores! This AU CC account might be reporting on your CRs as nearly maxed-out, very bad. I suggest you folks pay it down or have your wife call the CCC and have them remove you as an AU.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

zaqxsw wrote:

Yes I see. You need her history.

Her UTIL is hurting you!!!

I have not seen any AU  drop for me yet. We can only wait & see.

If she has another CC that she can transfer any part of that $4700, it will help your scores. OR If you can pay down on it.

When an AU  it counts for and against you. The CL is good but the UTIL hurts as you do not have anything to off set it.

This is what I would do.....PIF your cards....sock drawer them for 6 months.......Use only her card if needed.......Pay it down asap....as much as you can each month.......in 6 months use 1 of your cards to pay a bill (cable phone) something that you would pay cash for....I use mine for drugs & groceries.

When the charges show on CC  PIF & sock drawer again....repete with second card.......This way all your payments go on 1 CC.....BUT you MUST PIF your CC  every time you use them.

Scores will go up as that $4700 goes down....you are only using your 2 cards once or twice a year to keep them active....

You might want to think about getting 1 or 2 more cards.

what are your scores?????
Message 3 of 8
zaqxsw
Established Member

625 range on all 3-----history is rather low -not enough total age ---if my cl on the two cards in my name were increased say 300 to 600 and 500 to 1000---would that help--real question is when i am off the au r the low cl on my cards hurting me--all things being equal how much of a difference in person A with 2 cards 300cl and 500cl    &     person B with 2 cards 600cl and 1000cl--assuming util both at 10%  and everything else identical--differnt cred scores for A and B???      thanks again to the sharing contributors
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

zaqxsw wrote:
625 range on all 3-----history is rather low -not enough total age ---if my cl on the two cards in my name were increased say 300 to 600 and 500 to 1000---would that help--real question is when i am off the au r the low cl on my cards hurting me--all things being equal how much of a difference in person A with 2 cards 300cl and 500cl    &     person B with 2 cards 600cl and 1000cl--assuming util both at 10%  and everything else identical--differnt cred scores for A and B???      thanks again to the sharing contributors

If I understand you........any increase in CL will help you.  Even as an AU with her UTIL.  added CL will boost both of you.  If not an AU....the CL on your cards makes no differents...it still goes by UTIL

You might be able to get a CLI on the cards that you already have.  625  is not in the pitts!

1 CC to avoid if possable is Cap1....they do not how CL only high bal.....this hurts scores as it appears as if you are always maxed out.

To get UTIL   you have 5 CC  with a total CL  of $1000
                      You have total charged on card of $100 = 10% util
It doesn't matter if the $1000 is on 1 and other CC have bal $0  still UTIL = 10%

AU  works the same    total of that account and total of util....counts as if it is your CC.....so being an AU can help or hurt

Message Edited by HappyDays on 09-04-2007 11:48 PM
Message 5 of 8
zaqxsw
Established Member

ty happy but im sitll trying to fing out how much better the credit score is if one person has 6000cl total from 3 cards with util at 10%  versus a person with a 1500cl from 3 cards as well with 10% util--asuuming all else equal----util ratio being the same do u get  a higher score with higher cred limits   ty happy again
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

NO!!!!  it goes by UTIL
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even if you remove yourself as AU from her account it will still report the high balance until AU status is null and void.  Who knows when that will happen.  If you want to remove AU status I would suggest paying the card down FIRST. Supposedly the non AU FICO will be avail in Oct but who knows when it wil come into widespread use.  Once thats in place any damage or benefit you are currently seeing will become moot. 
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.