Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

authorized user

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

authorized user

I was an authorized user on a card and the car holder is up to the limit of 20,000 with payments on time but never going down in balance.  What to do it is screwing me up.   have other credit that is always on time.  Should I take myself off?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

Re: authorized user

@Anonymous wrote:

I was an authorized user on a card and the car holder is up to the limit of 20,000 with payments on time but never going down in balance.  What to do it is screwing me up.   have other credit that is always on time.  Should I take myself off?

Not sure what you are saying, is 20,000 the Credit Limit? What is the utilization on that card? If it's under 10% it shouldn't be hurting your scores.

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 2 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

welcome to my Fico Smiley Happy

If the AU account is at the limit and the utilization is not decreasing over time then I would terminate the relationship, asking just for termination should update the account on your CR to a 0 balance with the notes relationship terminated and it will stay on as a good account for up to 10 years post termination going forward.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you get off the card do I call the card or the person who's card it is? I know I will take a hit as it is a long history but it's not geting paid down but payments are on time then used righ agter. A catch 22!

Message 4 of 12
shoo
Frequent Contributor

If an AU account is hurting your score, I'm pretty sure you can dispute the information and the CRA have to remove it since you are not the primary account holder. First try just asking the person who put you as an AU to remove you!

$4200$1000$2650$53,000$6500$2500$12,500$7000$7000$34,700$12,100$10,000
EX - 790 | TU - 782 | EQ - ?
--- In the garden since April 2019 ---
Message 5 of 12
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

I didn't think AU affected overall credit utilization but it does because last year when I applied for Chase Freedom and got denied they said I was using too much of the limit but I asked why does it matter because I'm not the primary card holder, they said it does matter

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it does matter thanks for all the replies.  i just took my name off the card.  Probably get a ding but its better than what i had with being a authorized user.  No control over that.

Message 7 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes it does matter thanks for all the replies.  i just took my name off the card.  Probably get a ding but its better than what i had with being a authorized user.  No control over that.

It should just update to 0 balance and relationship terminated and stay around for AAoA

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not know what that means?

Message 9 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not know what that means?

When you ask to be removed as an AU they typically update your report to a 0 balance and note relationship terminated, the rest of the accounts info will stay around to still help your CR such as the open date of the account will still help your AAoA (Avg age of accounts). Here you will find info on the common terms used on this board are:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Guide-To-Common-Abbreviations/m-p/224988?jump=true

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.