Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

auto loan for self employed

tag
sunnyday
Frequent Contributor

auto loan for self employed

Does anyone have any advice for somebody who has filed bankruptcy about 16 months ago, and is self employed, who is trying to get an auto loan?  A couple banks approved me, however, being self employed, it is hard to prove my last 2 years of income.  I am recently divorced, and prior 2 years of tax returns, show my ex-husbands income,  as the primary source.  The banks will not accept my last 2 years of bank statements as proof of income.  I have to show a minimum of 1500.00 per month for 2 straight years of self employment, on my tax returns, which I do not have, because of the bankruptcy.  So to sum it all up, I got approved by roadloans and capital 1, but can't verify my income for the last 2 years, so they will not give me the loan.  Any suggestions would be appreciated! 
Ficos are, 553, 560, 569
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: auto loan for self employed

Message Edited by cheryl1981 on 06-12-2007 03:44 PM
Message 2 of 15
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you might be in trouble... Did you explain the situation to them?
Message 3 of 15
sunnyday
Frequent Contributor

Not really, I just faxed them the financial info that they had requested.  I was told that any bank needs proof of self-employment income for 2 straight years,  1500.00 minimum per month, shown on last 2 years of tax returns.  I guess that is what would be required when you are self-employed, and have a previous bankruptcy on your credit reports.  I haven't tried going to a local car dealer yet.  I have just tried getting a preapproval over the internet, such as a blank check.
Message 4 of 15
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

I local dealer will probably want the same. Keep us updated.
Message 5 of 15
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

Question, Tusc -- if her scores were higher, say in the mid to upper 6's, would that make a difference?  Gennifer didn't have to prove income with a 653 from EQ.  Her auto enhanced was higher, however.

me Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Off topic comment....  My soon to be wife and I were looking at a very high end model home over the weekend ($649k+ and out of our price range - and very high for this market).  At the same time, there was a man and his wife walking through critiquing the poor quality of workmanship on the 11ft walls.
He said he owns a used car lot and sells a few hundred a month.  He stated matter of factly, "Anybody can have a car on the lot for 28% interest."  Be careful of the sharks out there...
Message 7 of 15
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

MercyMe wrote:
Question, Tusc -- if her scores were higher, say in the mid to upper 6's, would that make a difference?  Gennifer didn't have to prove income with a 653 from EQ.  Her auto enhanced was higher, however.

me Smiley Happy

Perhaps. Whenever I finance it's usually 50/50 on whether or not proof of income is required.
Message 8 of 15
sunnyday
Frequent Contributor

I'm trying to avoid those car lots they say "We finance 100% of everyone or we pay you 1000.00", because I know that the interest rate will be ridiculous.  I'm working on getting my scores higher.  I have a credit card that I'm paying down, also sent out a pfd today, for a small collection that I'm not responsible for, but I disputed, and it still remains.  It's only 75.00, we will see what happens.  Other than that, I don't know where else to turn.  I'm so upset, my ex really screwed up my credit by filing for divorce, and forcing me into chapter 7 about 16 months ago.  Thanks for everybody's input and advice.  I really appreciate feedback.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read a posting about the "big three" reasons for getting into credit problems.  Loss of Job, Medical and divorce.  Divorce got me as well....
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.