bank account lines of credit

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: bank account lines of credit

@Creditaddict wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Everytime I sign into my bank account it asks me if I want a credit line in order to avoid bounced checks etc. If I check yes to this will it result in a HP? Also, does this show up on my credit report as a line of credit similiar to a credit card?

Everyone needs to stop saying it won't result in a HP . It depends on the bank.

Capital One 360 does a HP when applying for an overdraft LOC, and every time you request a CLI. Their Overdraft LOC does not show up on credit reports. 

i think when op stated that this is actually just permission to pay transactions that will make you negative vs an overdraft line means it won't be a hp because it's not an actual account, it's the disclosure they are required for you to agree before charging you $34 for using your debit card when your checking account is empty.

If I miss understood that, then im confused again!

Yea, I think this is what it is. Just the disclosure and authorization to pay an overdraft and zing me with the interest. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 11 of 19
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Everytime I sign into my bank account it asks me if I want a credit line in order to avoid bounced checks etc. If I check yes to this will it result in a HP? Also, does this show up on my credit report as a line of credit similiar to a credit card?

Capital One 360 does a HP when applying for an overdraft LOC, and every time you request a CLI. Their Overdraft LOC does not show up on credit reports. 

i think when op stated that this is actually just permission to pay transactions that will make you negative vs an overdraft line means it won't be a hp because it's not an actual account, it's the disclosure they are required for you to agree before charging you $34 for using your debit card when your checking account is empty.

Once again, we're back to it depends on the bank. If it's asking them to open a LOC, instead of opt into overdraft protection, those are two very different things. Remember, banks have to be VERY specific about the terminology they use nowadays, and they can't call one thing something else. 

My line with Captial One 360 is an actual overdraft LOC, with an 11-point-something interest rate, and no fees for using it. The couple of times my balance has gone below $0, it only charged me a couple of cents in interest. 

Message 12 of 19
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Yea, I think this is what it is. Just the disclosure and authorization to pay an overdraft and zing me with the interest. 

You guys are confusing each other - it's not the same thing. Opting into overdraft protection will result in an exorbiant $25+ one-time fee per transaction. Opting into an overdraft line of credit is when they'll charge you interest for everything that takes you below a $0 balance. 

Overdraft protection isn't a line of credit, so no HP or SP.

Overdraft line of credit could be a HP or SP. 

Message 13 of 19
red259
Super Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

You guys are confusing each other - it's not the same thing. Opting into overdraft protection will result in an exorbiant $25+ one-time fee per transaction. Opting into an overdraft line of credit is when they'll charge you interest for everything that takes you below a $0 balance. 

Overdraft protection isn't a line of credit, so no HP or SP.

Overdraft line of credit could be a HP or SP. 

Of course now when I log in it doesn't pop up when it has been popping up for the last several months. I can't find the wording they used. I know for a fact what I had with citibank was an overdraft line of credit in the sense that I was charged interest. I can't remember the wording that my main bank used. Maybe the offer will pop up against later and I can cut and paste it. 

;
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Everyone? There were three people who had added to this discussion before you posted. One person said it depends on the bank, one said they didn't think that type would result in a HP, the third said that it did at their bank. "Everyone" isn't saying that it won't be a HP.

Don't confuse the issue with facts :-)

Message 15 of 19
red259
Super Contributor

Well just looked further into my bank website. I think what they offered was something called overdraft services which is if you overdraft you have to pay a flat fee and then an additional fee if you stay negative more than 10 days (this appears to be the default one). They also have other products called overdraft protection one of which is a line of credit and you get hit with the interest as well as a flat charge each time you do it. 

;
Message 16 of 19
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Everyone? There were three people who had added to this discussion before you posted. One person said it depends on the bank, one said they didn't think that type would result in a HP, the third said that it did at their bank. "Everyone" isn't saying that it won't be a HP.

Message 17 of 19
Kidcat
Established Contributor

My CU has what is called an overdraft LOC, which is really just an unsecured line of credit.  You can just transfer money into your checking account, not even for overdraft.  It has a relatively reasonable interest rate (low teens) and it reports to EXP, as a LOC.  The CU required a hard pull to open the checking account, so it wasn't a separate HP.  However it would be another HP if it was applied for at a later date.

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

A line of credit and overdraft service/ overdraft protection are two different things. LOCs are credit accounts, and a bank will typically do a HP for an application. Overdraft service/protection are deposit account services that do not require a credit pull.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.