cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bank loan credit card consolidation using automobile refinancing to securing good or bad?

tag
yomikey65
New Visitor

bank loan credit card consolidation using automobile refinancing to securing good or bad?

my local bank wants to refinance my current auto loan from another bank i had and they want to refinace it for its orignal loan amount of 16,000.  I had about 4000 left on auto loan so they want to do a 16K loan leaving 12K available to consolidate credit cards onto to equal the total 16K.  My rate would be 6%  so i would be able to save about 200.00 a month considering the current loan payment and credit cards i would consolidate down from 19.99% to the 6% loan.  however I have concern if i should follow through on this option.  I have one year left on my current auto loan.  by doing this refinancing it would be back to 4 year loan terms.  I would try and put the 200.00 savings a month back into the loan with no prepayment penalities so i could pay the new loan off in 2 years and 4 months.  I dont know if it is a good idea to refinance a loan for 16K again using my auto as security.  if i want to trade in or something within the next 4 years i dont think i could considering the loan to pay off and get titile would now be 16K.  i really need some advise from others out there.  should i take the refinance and lower the credit cards to 6% saving  200.00 a month in current cash payments or should i not take the deal and continue on paying my auto off in a year and then trying to pay down the credit cards at that time.  help me help me.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: bank loan credit card consolidation using automobile refinancing to securing good or bad?

If you're planning to keep the car and you have significant credit card debt, trading 19% to 6% smells like victory assuming you don't run up the credit cards again.

Welcome to the forums!

        
Message 2 of 4
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: bank loan credit card consolidation using automobile refinancing to securing good or bad?

That's a really good deal as long as you don't run up credit card debt.  19% interest rate down to 6% ?!  I'd jump on that in a second.

Message 3 of 4
user5387
Valued Contributor

I would say that eliminating revolving debt dominates other considerations, and this sounds like a really good deal.

But I would recommend no longer using the CCs, if there is any issue with controlling spending.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.