Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best credit monitoring service?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

best credit monitoring service?

I'm using PrivacyGuard and CreditKarma right now - what's a better solution? Currently paying $20 a month for PrivacyGuard.

I saw the MyFico packages - the standard $20 one has monthly EquiFax reports. The $30/month includes all three but looks like you only get a quarterly report, is that true? Do you at least get a monthly EquiFax report with teh $30 option?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: best credit monitoring service?

Google creditchecktotal trial they have a 7 day $1.00 trial then it is $29.95 per month when you cancel before the seventh day they will usually offer you a 50% discount to keep the product. You get Experian scores and reports daily and all three bureau scores and reports once a month.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use Experian Creditworks premium and I like it a lot. Daily updated EX report and scores with multiple score versions, and monthly 3B scores and reports. My favorite feature is the instant touch report freeze. (Very handy at times) I believe I pay 19.99 or 24.99 monthly. 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can get great credit monitoring for little to no money.  If you sign up for 2-3 free services and add in an occasional $1 CCT trial membership to pull your 3B FICO 08 scores, you're in a great place for little to no money at all.  Anything that costs XY.99/mo, IMO, is too much.

Message 4 of 11
BrokenBones
New Contributor

I've been pulling my 3B report and FICO scores from credit check total for the past year for a $1 per month. It's annoying calling to cancel it every month, but at just $1 it's definitely worth it. 

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You can get great credit monitoring for little to no money.  If you sign up for 2-3 free services and add in an occasional $1 CCT trial membership to pull your 3B FICO 08 scores, you're in a great place for little to no money at all.  Anything that costs XY.99/mo, IMO, is too much.

Great response by BBS.

For free EQ and TU reports as often as once a week:

Credit Karma

For a free EX report and a FICO 8 score once per month:

https://www.creditscore.com/

After that a nice choice is to time your $1 CCT pull so that it is at the same time as you Karma pull.  Pretty quickly you'll get a sense of whether your Karma scores always stay 20 points less (or 10 points more, or whatever) than your FICO 8 scores.

You can also compare your EX FICO score with your EQ and TU FICO scores.

You may find that Karma + CreditScore (both free) give you all the basics of what you need, supplemented with the rare use of CCT.  The whole thing will cost you $3 a year maybe.

If you decide you want to get really fancy, you can add a 1-month subscription to myFICO ultimate once per year, just to grab all of your three dozen FICO scores.

Message 6 of 11
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

This is my go to https://www.creditscore.com/ .. It's once a month and only one CR but free. Fako's can be good for the reports, like Credit Karma.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Broken bones, you can cancel your membership with a quick email any time of the day. No need to use the phone, deal with a human being, etc. Also an added benefit of the email is that it's written, verifiable and date/time stamped.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure if people are aware, but Experian already gives you free credit monitoring and monthly credit report and score (for Experian only on both) for free. Add CreditKarma to that and you've nearly covered all your bases as far as monitoring credit reports for free. Unless you expect your score to change more than once a month, I don't see the point in subscribing to those services. Smiley Indifferent

I just use the Experian app on my phone and check my score/report once a month, then I log into Creditkarma on my phone and look at my Equifax and Transunion reports. Done.

http://www.experian.com/consumer-products/free-credit-report.html

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure if people are aware, but Experian already gives you free credit monitoring and monthly credit report and score (for Experian only on both) for free.

Yep.  MitchBlue and I both referred the folks on this thread to a free monthly credit report and score from Experian:

======

For a free EX report and a FICO 8 score once per month:

https://www.creditscore.com/

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.