Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best option for score monitoring?

tag
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

best option for score monitoring?

I'm in the process of attempting my first mortgage and would like to monitor my reports and scores more frequently and often.  What is the best method to do so?

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
blondy250
Established Contributor

Re: best option for score monitoring?

I wouldn't pay for any score monitoring, but you can use CK and CS to monitor inquiries and see if there any negatives, just ignore there scores. I would pull your Equifax 04 score from the Equifax site and look for the "scorepower" product thats your real EQ04 fico thats used by mortgage lenders.

Fico 8 12/9/17
Equifax 850, TransUnion 842 10/30/17 , Experian 842 12/11/17 . AAOA 12 years Oldest 20
No inquires since 2014
All credit reports frozen
Fico 8 Equifax Bankcard 866 12/27/16
Message 2 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@blondy250 wrote:

I wouldn't pay for any score monitoring, but you can use CK and CS to monitor inquiries and see if there any negatives, just ignore there scores. I would pull your Equifax 04 score from the Equifax site and look for the "scorepower" product thats your real EQ04 fico thats used by mortgage lenders.

+1, this is what I would do if I were interested in a mortgage; though first things first: I'd go pull all of my reports from annualcreditreports.com and see what's what: this is one area where accuracy counts more than scores, get them and fine tooth comb them to see if there's anything which needs correcting now if you haven't done so already.

The only real mortgage score benchmarks we have are the Equifax Score Power (EQ Beacon 5.0) DCU's monthly score (likewise EQ Beacon 5.0) and PSECU's scores (EX Risk Model v2): and you don't want to be opening up new accounts in the runup to a mortgage if at all avoidable, and as such the Score Power product is your best bet.

        
Message 3 of 11
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@blondy250 wrote:

+1, this is what I would do if I were interested in a mortgage; though first things first: I'd go pull all of my reports from annualcreditreports.com and see what's what: this is one area where accuracy counts more than scores, get them and fine tooth comb them to see if there's anything which needs correcting now if you haven't done so already.

The only real mortgage score benchmarks we have are the Equifax Score Power (EQ Beacon 5.0) DCU's monthly score (likewise EQ Beacon 5.0) and PSECU's scores (EX Risk Model v2): and you don't want to be opening up new accounts in the runup to a mortgage if at all avoidable, and as such the Score Power product is your best bet.

So i shouldnt purchase score watch from equifax from this site?

Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

Message 4 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@rootpooty wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@blondy250 wrote:

For a mortgage specifically, you'd be disappointed.

SW is a good product for what it does, the problem is the score is now FICO 8, and that's not used by virtually any mortgage lender currently (oh how I wish that they were though!).  

What in particular are you looking for in a solution?  Personally for a mortgage I'd focus on the report data and ignore the score until I was as clean as possible, then I'd go check EQ's Score Power to see where I was at... or maybe you should do that first to know if you are even in the ballpark for what you need (I have a DCU account so that didn't occur to me.)

Both CK and CS are pretty spot-on for monitoring, and CK now is pure win for TU credit reports now too with their recent beta.  EQ is the ugly duckling, Quizzle updates obnoxiously infrequently.  If you really, really want a monitoring solution for EQ, for a mortgage specifically, Equifax has a Scorewatch product too which I think is still on the Beacon 5.0 version which is an incredibly common score for a mortgage.  Or you can opt for one of the daily / weekly pullers like EIDT or MPM and go from there, I just go with the cheaper routes personally but I know what's up on my report as a general rule.

        
Message 5 of 11
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@rootpooty wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@blondy250 wrote:

SW is a good product for what it does, the problem is the score is now FICO 8, and that's not used by virtually any mortgage lender currently (oh how I wish that they were though!).  

What in particular are you looking for in a solution?  Personally for a mortgage I'd focus on the report data and ignore the score until I was as clean as possible, then I'd go check EQ's Score Power to see where I was at... or maybe you should do that first to know if you are even in the ballpark for what you need (I have a DCU account so that didn't occur to me.)

Both CK and CS are pretty spot-on for monitoring, and CK now is pure win for TU credit reports now too with their recent beta.  EQ is the ugly duckling, Quizzle updates obnoxiously infrequently.  If you really, really want a monitoring solution for EQ, for a mortgage specifically, Equifax has a Scorewatch product too which I think is still on the Beacon 5.0 version which is an incredibly common score for a mortgage.  Or you can opt for one of the daily / weekly pullers like EIDT or MPM and go from there, I just go with the cheaper routes personally but I know what's up on my report as a general rule.

the score watch sold on this site doesnt provide eq score beacon 5.0?

Message 6 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@rootpooty wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@rootpooty wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@blondy250 wrote:

the score watch sold on this site doesnt provide eq score beacon 5.0?

Not anymore, changed 4-5 months ago.

        
Message 7 of 11
VirtualCuriosity
Established Contributor

Not really a frequent check, but Quiz is a good EQ pull every six months free too.  I'm guessing it's the same as EQ from here because it is about identical (just pulled it).

TU713, EQ 731 , EX 726 (As of 12/13/14) - Personal Goal = 760

“Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship” – Benjamin Franklin

Gardening since 3-26-15

Message 8 of 11
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Main reason I want to watch scores is to see where I stand for the next 3 mos.  Going through home loan process right now and hope to be or still be in the 750 in the next 3 mos so I can app for some new accounts.  For the past year I have carried high balances on all my CC accounts so right now I would like to pay close attention to everything

Message 9 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@rootpooty wrote:

Main reason I want to watch scores is to see where I stand for the next 3 mos.  Going through home loan process right now and hope to be or still be in the 750 in the next 3 mos so I can app for some new accounts.  For the past year I have carried high balances on all my CC accounts so right now I would like to pay close attention to everything

On the assumption your balances are being reported to all 3 bureaus (which is entirely likely based on your siggy) monitoring any one of the three is sufficient in this case.

There's something to be said for watching each bureau as JDB's and whatever come out of the woodwork seeing the mortgage inquiries but usually they'll report to all 3 as well.  As mentioned, I'd just use CS / CK and spot check EQ Score Power for my benchmark personally, but if you want better than that any of the daily pullers (MPM, EIDT, look at the CMS thread if you desire) would be fine for that.

As for monitoring a mortgage score, Equifax Score Watch is really the only available option (assuming they are still on Beacon 5, last I heard they were) without opening up new accounts, which you absolutely want to avoid.

        
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.