Anonymous
Not applicable

ca

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Collection Item

Debts are either assigned or sold to a CA.

Even tho the electrical company says CA#2 has the account, doesnt mean that CA#2 owns the debt, it maybe only assigned to them.

Contact the OC, ask if they own the debt and are willing to accept payment,also ask if they can call back the debt from the CA.

Or you can send a DV letter to one of the CA or to both.If verified, send PFD letter.

For more detailed info read What Steps Do I Take?Do I DV?PFD? Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

ca

Message 3 of 7
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Wow, No negatives on your CR.  Congradulations to YOU!!

As far as scoring goes, all anyone can do is guess, so here's mine. Not knowing the date this account went into default,but I would guess it was before it was placed with the CA 12-10. I'd say you would see a nice jump.Smiley Wink

I'm still alittle confused tho. Do you know why the OC asked the CA, to close you account with them?

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Comed collection was placed in 12/10 and the Amex was placed in 2010 sometime.  They have been deleted.  I am not sure why Comed asked them to close the account.  It may have something to do with a regulatory complaint I filed against them.  I do know that Comed has since then placed it with another ca named Torres but I have not received any phone calls or letters from Torres.

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I agree that who you can offer a PFD to depends upon who owns the debt.  If CA2 owns the debt, you could only offer PFD to them.  However, if they are only an assigned collection agent of the OC, then you could attempt to pay the OC. 

However, whoever you offer the PFD to, that party, if they accept, only has the authority to agree to delete their own credit reporting.  If CA2 were to accept, they could not agree to delete any reporting done by either the OC or CA1.  If the OC were to accept, the same thing applies.  They could not agree to delete any reporting done by either CA1 or CA2.  It is possible that CA2 might delete if asked to do so by the OC, but that requires the OC to take that step, and many wont.  Terminating the collection by paying the OC does not compel CR deletion by the debt collector.  There is no such thing as an OC "calling back" prior, accurate credit reporting done by a debt collector.

So one factor you must consider in deciding who to offer a PFD is which of the prior reportings is hurting you the most, that of the OC or that of the debt collector.  Usually it is that of the debt collector, for that is a major derog.  But it is only one major derog.  If the OC account had multiple monthly delinquencies of, for instance, 90/120+, along with a charge-off, that is multiple major derogs, and getting them deleted through a PFD to the OC might be of more benefit than getting the collection deleted.

There is no one answer of how to attempt to use a PFD.  It depends upon your circumstances.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks....but see prior posts.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.