Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can getting insurance quotes hurt?

tag
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: can getting insurance quotes hurt?

@RobertEG wrote:

Unfortunately, most consumers dont realize that pulls of their credit report are not limited to only application for new or extended credit, and dont need separate and express written consent.

IF you intitiate a "business transaction," such as application for a rental car, an apartment lease, or a insurance, then the busines is entitled, without prior consumer express permission, to access to your full credit report.,  FCRA 604(a)(3)(F).

Most businesses will inform you, but they are not requried to.

oh, i totally understand what you are saying.  but i don't consider getting an insurance quote on a car i haven't bought from a company i already have a long business relationship with "initiating a business transaction".  i do realize they are not required to inform me, but i don't see why it would have killed them to do so.  that's all i was saying.

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've never had a hard pull for insurance inquiries - but I've been softed by State Farm (!) but that was about a year ago; Nationwide and Liberty.

Soft pulls do not impact your credit, btw.

Message 12 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

You might see the insurance inq on your reports, but you'll know if it somehow was coded as a hard inq if you suddenly have a flag for an inq, where you didn't have one before, or if it shows up as an inq affecting your score.

Insurance inqs are like employer inqs --they shouldn't affect your score, if they're coded correctly. I've had two insurance inqs and one employment inq, and none have counted against me.

Again, IF they're coded correctly.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 13 of 16
laz98
Senior Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

You might see the insurance inq on your reports, but you'll know if it somehow was coded as a hard inq if you suddenly have a flag for an inq, where you didn't have one before, or if it shows up as an inq affecting your score.

yep, all of our monitoring alert things picked up on it right away, & it is on the FICO reports.

Message 14 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

My insurance inqs are on Experian, and Experian doesn't provide the prefix codes that specify the justification for the pull. But they're definitely in the soft inq category, separate from my AmEx hard inq from 2/2009:

insurance inq.jpg

So it's pretty obvious that insurance companies can use soft inquiries instead of hard if they want to.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Practically every insurance company uses your credit to determine your rates, and with the amount of shopping around for home and car insurance one does every renewal, if their credit enquiries were hard pulls, the credit record would probably be steeped in red!!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.