Re: can some explain fraud alert?

Remember, there are different rules for each state:

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tuscani wrote:

masdeocho wrote:
Fraud alert = CRAs are supposed to contact you if anyone tries to open credit in your name.  You need to verify that you have authorized it (i.e., that you're the applicant).  This is a procedure that's intended to be used only if you believe you've been the victim of fraud or identify theft.

Freeze = No one can open credit in your name.  If you want to apply, you have to give the security PIN and wait a few days for the thaw.  About half the states have it.  Some charge you a fee to freeze, unfreeze, or both.  This is a procedure that anyone (if they live in the right state) can use.  I've noticed that some of the CRAs discourage it.  IMHO it should be available with liberty and justice to all.

Good post.. This helps people understand the differences between freeze and FA.

Thanks Tusc.  Now, if only the thread ratings system were still active ... Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 13
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

masdeocho wrote:

Tuscani wrote:

masdeocho wrote:
Fraud alert = CRAs are supposed to contact you if anyone tries to open credit in your name.  You need to verify that you have authorized it (i.e., that you're the applicant).  This is a procedure that's intended to be used only if you believe you've been the victim of fraud or identify theft.

Freeze = No one can open credit in your name.  If you want to apply, you have to give the security PIN and wait a few days for the thaw.  About half the states have it.  Some charge you a fee to freeze, unfreeze, or both.  This is a procedure that anyone (if they live in the right state) can use.  I've noticed that some of the CRAs discourage it.  IMHO it should be available with liberty and justice to all.

Good post.. This helps people understand the differences between freeze and FA.

Thanks Tusc.  Now, if only the thread ratings system were still active ... Smiley Happy

No kidding!
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.