Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can some one help me understand au

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

can some one help me understand au

i hear that it will change soon but my boyfriend wanted to add me to his account as an authorized user, is it worth it?
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: can some one help me understand au

jasminegedeon wrote:
i hear that it will change soon but my boyfriend wanted to add me to his account as an authorized user, is it worth it?

They way AU was set up.  If you were added to an account as an AU all of the credit history on that  account also reported as your credit.  At times giving people falsely inflated scores enabling them to get credit that, given their own payment history, they did not qualify for.

This was a two edge sword as some AUs found that their reports were also negatively impacted by this practice when the cardholder failed to meet their obligation.

The new AU scoring will simply not consider any accounts that you are AU on. So basically you will be flying and obtaining or being denied for credit based on your payment history not someone else's. If your Bf adds you to his card as an AU after Sept, it will simply mean that you can use your own card for purchases on his account.

HTH
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.