Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can u dispute inquiries?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

can u dispute inquiries?

I have like 3 cap ones in like 3 days. It wasn't working right so I kept doing it. I thought it wasn't gone through. Then I have one from Comcast. I specifically asked the lady if they checked credit and she said no. I have 2 continental finance on the same day. I don't know what the hell that is!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: can u dispute inquiries?

Yeah i asked comcast the same question before from 3 reps and got the same answer of "No" sure enough there was a HP from them too.

I dont think you can dispute them, i could be wrong. I think the way to remove them is basically call the EO to try and have them removed.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

before I tried to delete inquiries via credit bureau(tu/ex/eq) and I was unsuccessful and they said they are not gonna deleted them even you report them as fraud !! so I had to call / write letter and ask each lender to remove or lower inquiries to soft pull !! and some of them did it !
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have like 3 cap ones in like 3 days. It wasn't working right so I kept doing it. I thought it wasn't gone through. Then I have one from Comcast. I specifically asked the lady if they checked credit and she said no. I have 2 continental finance on the same day. I don't know what the hell that is!

I've heard many people say they tried and failed but a few months ago I applied for a Best Buy card and was denied for Debt too high for income. After thinking about it for a couple of days I started thinking I may have left a zero out of my income and called to see if they could check what I wrote for income (there's a thread on it somewhere) The lady said she couldn't see what I wrote for income but she could re submit it with whatever income I told her to put. I asked her if it would be another pull and she said no that they use the same report within 30 days. To make a long story short I apparently had written the correct income because I was denied again for the same reason.

When I pulled the Experian report there was another HP from Citi. I wrote Experian and told them that I asked the lady if it would be another HP and she was emphatic that it wouldn't be. I also wrote Citi. In about a week after I mailed the letter I went on my Experian report and the second HP was gone. A couple days later I got a letter from Experian showing written confirmation that they deleted that HP. Citi wrote me a few weeks later and said they couldn't remove a HP from the date in question because it's not on my report. So even they were going to remove it. Either way it was coming off. You definitely have to try. Do it all in writing. You can't dispute an inquiry online with the CB's

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Equifax allows you to dispute inquiries online. Experian and Transunion require you to send written requests.
Message 5 of 16
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

+1000 to the first two responses. Comcast in Chicago hard pulled me for no reason, and I live in the Southeast and already have their service through my hubby. World's most straightforward thing, but I spent about a million hours on the phone with Comcast and Equifax with no luck. There is no way I instigated that pull, but it will not be removed, even though a every level of Comcast agreed that there was no reason for the pull. I was worried about identity theft and checked in in with the police in my area, but nothing can be done since I have not been hurt by it. No one realizes that -6 on Equifax really does hurt, but whatevs. I was super angry, but at this point I am so over spending time and energy on it. Best of luck to you. YMMV.

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 6 of 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The issue with inquiries is they are not the reporting of consumer information to a consumer's credit file, they are just the opposite..... a request to see what others have reported.

Since there is no furnisher, disputes pertaining to credit inquires are expressly exempt from the direct dispute process under the implementing rules ar 16 CFR 660.4.

You can only use the CRA dispute process, not the direct dispute process.

Technically, you can dispute via a CRA, as the CRA dispute process, by definition in section 611(a), relates to the accuracy of any information in your file.

However, again because there is no furnishr of information, the CRA does not forward such disputes to a furnisher, but rather handes them solely under their reinvestigation rights.  If they received a statement of permissible purpose from the inquiree, they assume they had the stated permisible purpose, and will summarily verify the accuracy of the information.  The only way to challenge an inquiry is to obtain the inquiree's statement of permissible purpose, and show that the stated purpose was either not a permissiblle purpose under FCRA 604, or was an inaccurate statemetn of their purpose. 

By the time a consumer is able to obtain the statement of permissible purpose provided by the inquiree and use it to support an effeicitve dispute, the one year period for scoring of the dispute has usually expired, making its removal academic in their scoring, and only relevant in a manual review.

For prctical purposes, disputes of inquiries are usually futile.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried writing to Discover and Synchrony Bank (GECRB) to get inquiries removed for cards I was denied around a year ago. They  both replied by mail insisting that the inquiries were valid and would not remove them. I'm a current customer of Discover but that didn't make a difference, even though they have 2 other inquiries on me from a succesful signup and a CLI request. Nbd just my experience.

Message 8 of 16
Involver
Valued Contributor

Inquiries are not worth disputing unless they are legitimate cases of identity theft, and even then they are so meaningless that they are the last thing that should be addressed.
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

They stay on report for 2 but don't count after 1yr?
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.