cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canadian credit cards in the usa

tag
cliffy1010

canadian credit cards in the usa

Hello all. I did some searching here but did not find anything pertaining to my current situation. I'd like to say I have deep knowledge with credit history, reporting and data, however, most of that is limited to the Canadian market. I understand there are many similarities, however, Canada is much more conservitive in lending. I currently own a mortgage brokerage firm in Canada

I live in a border town 3 mins away from the USA border. I cross regularly for gas purchases to just afternoon shopping. Seems everywhere I go, someone else is trying to get me to apply for a new credit card. Today, while at JC Penny, the cashiere asked if I wanted to apply for their credit card, I declined stating that I am Canadian, do not have a SSN. Her reply was many canadian residents have these cards and I can be approved right there. Now I want to get established in the states, as eventually, I would like to buy a vacation home in florida or elsewhere. After 3 mins of an application where my address was put in as canadian, my social insurance card number (same as social security but canadian) and how much money I make, she came back saying approved, 1,000 limit.

My Questions are, JCPenny card states that they use GE capital. There is no GE capital in canada perse (there are other companies under the GE umbrella such as GENWORTH) however, I have no history with them. Also we have 2 major credit bureau here Equifax and TransUnion, however these are the same name and parent companies, but they are not linked at all. No way could JCP have seen my canadian credit bureau (same way I cannot pull a USA credit bureau through equifax or transunion from Canada). So How was this possible to get approved? Also will this credit card start reporting to a USA credit bureau to establish my credit here?

Even if they somehow did see my canadian report, there is nothing wrong there, 720+ Beacon (basically same as FICO) and never any lates. Also I found this strange, I've heard many jokes about the USA credit companies from meeting and forms I attend here in canada saying "in the States, if you have a pulse you get a card" might now believe there is some truth behind this!

I thank you for your replies! while I could not really reply to any USA credit questions, if anyone needs info about canadian, just let me know! thanks again!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: canadian credit cards in the usa

@cliffy1010 wrote:

Hello all. I did some searching here but did not find anything pertaining to my current situation. I'd like to say I have deep knowledge with credit history, reporting and data, however, most of that is limited to the Canadian market. I understand there are many similarities, however, Canada is much more conservitive in lending. I currently own a mortgage brokerage firm in Canada

I live in a border town 3 mins away from the USA border. I cross regularly for gas purchases to just afternoon shopping. Seems everywhere I go, someone else is trying to get me to apply for a new credit card. Today, while at JC Penny, the cashiere asked if I wanted to apply for their credit card, I declined stating that I am Canadian, do not have a SSN. Her reply was many canadian residents have these cards and I can be approved right there. Now I want to get established in the states, as eventually, I would like to buy a vacation home in florida or elsewhere. After 3 mins of an application where my address was put in as canadian, my social insurance card number (same as social security but canadian) and how much money I make, she came back saying approved, 1,000 limit.

My Questions are, JCPenny card states that they use GE capital. There is no GE capital in canada perse (there are other companies under the GE umbrella such as GENWORTH) however, I have no history with them. Also we have 2 major credit bureau here Equifax and TransUnion, however these are the same name and parent companies, but they are not linked at all. No way could JCP have seen my canadian credit bureau (same way I cannot pull a USA credit bureau through equifax or transunion from Canada). So How was this possible to get approved? Also will this credit card start reporting to a USA credit bureau to establish my credit here?

Even if they somehow did see my canadian report, there is nothing wrong there, 720+ Beacon (basically same as FICO) and never any lates. Also I found this strange, I've heard many jokes about the USA credit companies from meeting and forms I attend here in canada saying "in the States, if you have a pulse you get a card" might now believe there is some truth behind this!

I thank you for your replies! while I could not really reply to any USA credit questions, if anyone needs info about canadian, just let me know! thanks again!

I can with all honesty state this is not true.  It is very hard to get prime cards in the US.  Many of the CCC have extremely strict guidelines on scores, lates, negatives, etc

I have had a pulse for years and have no CC worth mentioning.

Message 2 of 7
cliffy1010

Thanks for the reply Guiness. I did notice you put prime cards in there. I am assuming, like here in canada, that most store cards are not prime cards, and most likely that if I just threw out an application for a more mainstream card that it would be declined. I have noticed after flying US Airways, that they push their credit card and offer free flights, and I could apply after that flight and have that days flight in points as well. I went on the website, however, could not proceed past needing the sate of residence.

Really wondering how a non citizen, non resident could get approved with no USA record for a credit bureau

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I only mentioned prime because they are mostly harder to get.  Secured cards at one time were easier to obtain but now they seem to be just as hard to get.

Store cards, especially like JCP and Sears have always had tight acceptance policies.

You do need a social security number and to reside in the US.  Or at least to have a US address. 

Message 4 of 7
cliffy1010

That's the thing, I don't have a SSN and don't live in the usa, but applied today, was approved for 1000 and used it to make a purchase today.
Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Did you use your social insurance number?  I have read about others using that instead of a social security number.  But, the outcome was a crossed file with the user of the same social security number.

Message 6 of 7
cliffy1010

Yes I needed to provide my SIN number

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.