Established Member
lookingforhome

charge offs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read a thread stating that collections and chargeoffs are calculated in utilization.  If this is true, how can paying in full help utilization and hurt credit score if updated?
Regular Contributor
GETNUMBERSUP

Re: charge offs

I don't think collections are but, I know when I use the FICO simulator it included my CO.  My CO has a past due of about 300 bucks and it mapped that over to the FICO simulator for revolving credit..
Moderator Emeritus
fused

In FICO scoring, collections reported by collection agencies or other third-party collectors NEVER factor in util calculations. Charge-offs, however, can and usually do factor in util calculations...this unfortuantely can really tank your scores.
Established Member
lookingforhome

will paying charge offs lower my util and increase my score?
Moderator Emeritus
fused

Unlike collections, paying-off or paying down a CO might raise your FICO scores. Some have reported improvement in scores while others haven't. And yes, any improvement in scores would be directly related to lowering util.
Established Member
lookingforhome

thanks for info
Established Contributor
beach123

Appreciate the info - now to get the collection to report as just that...instead of a crap installment - nice JDB, ruin one all the way to screwville!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+