Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

charge offs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

charge offs

I'm an auhorized user on a few credit card acounts that have been charged off.  I understand I'm not liable for these accounts; however, they are showing on my credit report and reported as negative information. 

What is the best way to get them off my credit report. I just recently disputed the info but not sure if that will help, heard it is difficult to to get this information off my report.

Need to get negative acct info off my CR.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: charge offs

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm an auhorized user on a few credit card acounts that have been charged off.  I understand I'm not liable for these accounts; however, they are showing on my credit report and reported as negative information. 

What is the best way to get them off my credit report. I just recently disputed the info but not sure if that will help, heard it is difficult to to get this information off my report.

Need to get negative acct info off my CR.

You did the right thing. Just dispute them as "not my account". There shouldn't be any problem having this done and quickly.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

any idea on when derogs associated with Charge off start to not impact credit score.  Also, is there a differenct of paying off a derog versus not paying off a derog on credit score?

Message 3 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

any idea on when derogs associated with Charge off start to not impact credit score.  Also, is there a differenct of paying off a derog versus not paying off a derog on credit score?

If you are an AU then there will be no impact to your score. (If you get removed as an AU).

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

also have one that was charged off 2 years ago but I paid it off at that time in a settlement for less than the full amount.

I also know someone that didn't bother paying off a charge off.  Any difference in the FICO scoring?  Also, when does the impact of a charge off start to lessen on FICO score?

Message 5 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

also have one that was charged off 2 years ago but I paid it off at that time in a settlement for less than the full amount.

I also know someone that didn't bother paying off a charge off.  Any difference in the FICO scoring?  Also, when does the impact of a charge off start to lessen on FICO score?

If the CO was a credit card with a balance then paying it off will lower your utilization which should help your score depending on what else you have reporting. However the CO itself will remain. So yes sometimes in the case of a CO paying it off can be better.

It's difficult to guess how much age will lessen the impact of a CO but of course a 5 year old CO will do less damage than a 1 year CO. It still comes down many times to what else is on your reports.

There are seldom (if ever) black and white answers in my opinon.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

so, if utilization rate is already low and was, then it doesn't really matter?

Message 7 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

so, if utilization rate is already low and was, then it doesn't really matter?

No but paying off any debt looks better to someone processing a future credit application.

For scoring it doesn't matter.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have decent scores but have been denied for having outstanding collections.  scores are just one factor used in the decision to extend credit.

Message 9 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The guide, regarding FICO scoring,  to follow, in my opinion,  is not payment or non-payment of debt, or payment in full, or settled for less than the full amount,.   That debt is not what FIICO scoring is all about.

FICO is primarily about timely payment of debt when owed , not what remains unpaid, or how or when it was paid.

It is the baggage, in the form of delinquencies and derogs along the path of the debt.  The baggage can be one or ,more or monthly delinquencies on the OC accouint, a CO done by the OC. or a CA reported by a debt collector. 
These are separate and cumulative.

Throwing each item of  baggage from the train is dependent on it becoming 7 or 7 1/2 years old, depending on its type of derog.  FCRA 605(a)

Not paying a CO, paying it for tthe fulll amount, or settling for less than the charged-off amount, is not something that FICO scores.

So why bother to pay?  Because of possible future FICO or legal impacts.  Unpaid debt remains, forever.  And unpaid COs can lead to collections, which are compound derogs which, if posted, will further drag down your score. and then require independent PFD or GW deletion requests to either/or the OC or CA to address its credot report deletion, if still within 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD on the OC account.  They  can continue to be reported to your CR, as long as the debt is not legally discharged.

Then the issue of legal action.  If the debt is still within your state statute of limiations for its legal collection, then regardless of any credit reporting isues, it may still be within the legal period where, if  they sue. you cannot prove a successful SOL defense.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.