cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

checking my credit report and seen a inquiry from someone i dont know.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

checking my credit report and seen a inquiry from someone i dont know.

hello,

well when checking my credit report through experian . everything was good. i checked to see who is checking my inquiries shared with others and i see someone that i dont know. below is the info i seen :

The inquiry was date of request 12/16/2008 by :
mullooly, jeffrey,rooney
Address :
6851 Jericho tpke
Syosset,NY 11791
(516)656-5300
comments : Permissible purpose. this inquiry is scheduled to continue on record until jan 2011

i did a search of the name and its a lawyers office that does collections. now i am all over my credit report and i take it very serious since i claimed bankruptcy back in 2000 and is discharged. and that is the only thing on my report that is neg and will come off in jan 2010. i have worked very hard since then to build my credit back up.

i have never recieved any phone calls,letters in the mail saying i owe a debt or anything and none of my credit reports says i am behind on anything or i am not paying any bills...the only times i get any phone calls is sometimes someone looking for my mother for a debt,but she dont live with me and they call her house also..

now last week my father has passed away. i am going to make phone calls for my mother . my dad didnt leave anything and the house was only in my mothers name. but i checked his report and this same collector was on his report :

me looking at who is checking his report i seen the same name on his report as i found on my report

mullooly, jeffrey,rooney for dates 6/26/2008 Permissible purpose. this inquiry is scheduled to continue on record until july 2010 ,

6/25/2008 collection purpose. this inquiry is scheduled to continue on record until jul 2010 ,

2/23/2007 Permissible purpose. this inquiry is scheduled to continue on record until mar 2009..

2/27/2008

the above dats are dates they checked his report.

so i am wondering what business they had checking my report? anyone have any ideas what should i do next

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: checking my credit report and seen a inquiry from someone i dont know.

Sorry for your loss and welcome to the forums.

Weird that it is a 7 month or so difference in time and that it happened to both of you. Your inquiry occured last month. Could you AND your father have at one point a debt together?

If you really want to know, you could send a non-PP inquiry letter (search around for one) and see their response. IMO, it will wake them up.
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: checking my credit report and seen a inquiry from someone I don't know.

A suggestion that I have is to put a fraud alert on your credit report, with all three agencies.

Send a letter to the company telling them they do NOT have permission to pull your credit report.

Unfortunately, anyone can pull your credit.   Since 9/11, there have been stricter screening processes for people/businesses to be able to pull credit.  I do "verifications" to see if the person/business appears legit.  Even before I verify their business, they are still receiving credit reports.  Some of these people are acting as fronts for others..The information and the documentation are submitted.  But hey, who is going to turn down the money?  

Bottomline is keep an eye on your report.  Document everything.  Do notifications through the mail, certified return receipt.  

Is your state a community property state? Were your parents legally married when he died?  If yes to both, then the debt collectors can go after your mom and the estate for payment.

If they were in a community property state when he died, and they were legally separated or divorced, be prepared to provided proof.  Again, everything through the mail, certified return receipt.

If you are not in a community property, be prepared to prove that he had no assets.  

Good luck! 

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok today i did call and talked to someone and i didnt give them my social S # i just gave my name and my town i live in. and they came up with old hospital accounts from 1999 and this hospital has been closed and so was these accounts. so the person who ran my report had no reason to run it as they said.

so what letter do i send them? how do i word it. since they had no purpose for running my report. and who can i report this to.

Message 4 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=generalcredit&thread.id=3900
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

My suggestion would be to write a letter to them, reminding them that they do not have a legal reason to pull your credit report.  If they do so again, you may take legal action against them.

I think you can file a compliant with the BBB and with the Attorney General.  Neither one of these things may make a difference, other than leaving a paper trail.

Also, put a fraud alert on your credit reports!!  Not to alarm you, but when you complain to the BBB and the AG, say that you are VERY concerned that this company and it's employees are illegally pulling your credit report and you suspect identity theft.  That should get everyone's attention.   It's a dramatic action - but a legitimate concerned.  (Include this in your letter to the collection agency/attorney.)

There maybe other solutions that would work for you.  These are just suggestions.

I have successfully used these methods against Capital One.

Good luck! 

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

i sent the letter out. what are the next steps to take
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

i sent the letter out and they recieved it on 2/19/09 and wanted to know what are my next steps to take?

anyone got any advice

Message 8 of 17
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Wait and then go to court.
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

well today i recieved a letter from them...it says

dear mr chevy,

I have receieved your letter date february 17, 2009 about a inquiry by my office on experian.i have no open file in my office on which an inquiry was made. it appears that the inquiry was an error whether by my office or by experian by someone putting in the wrong file number.

i have written to experian today to request a removal of any inquiry noted to my office. kindly let me known if this inquiry is not removed from your credit report with the next 30 days.

i apologize for any inconvenience.

Edited out your real name--ByrdMan
Message Edited by ByrdMan on 02-26-2009 12:51 PM
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.