Moderator Emeritus

Re: checking my credit report and seen a inquiry from someone i dont know.

Congrats!
Senior Contributor

chevy01xtreme wrote:

dear mr chevy,

I have receieved your letter date february 17, 2009 about a inquiry by my office on experian.i have no open file in my office on which an inquiry was made. it appears that the inquiry was an error whether by my office or by experian by someone putting in the wrong file number.

i have written to experian today to request a removal of any inquiry noted to my office. kindly let me known if this inquiry is not removed from your credit report with the next 30 days.

i apologize for any inconvenience.

I'd send off a written dispute to each of the Big Three. EQ, EX and TU. Dispute the Inquiry, and you might end up with a copy of your CRs from each of the Big Three for the price of just three stamps. No need to send it CMRRR.

If it's only on EX, and you're only interested in getting the INQ off EX, call (ha) and try to get hold of a human at EX (double ha) and do a phone dispute.

If the INQ is completely gone, and you have proof of the INQ (like a hard copy of a CR), you actually have proof of a FCRA violation you could sue EX over. $1,000 payday.

i just seen this inquiry so far only on experian.

i have proof of the inquiry as i have a printed copy of my credit report. i also have a copy of the letter they sent to me that i posted. so is this a violation of the law..

i tried to call experian ha ha ha.. so i guess ill have to write them

Senior Contributor

chevy01xtreme wrote:

i just seen this inquiry so far only on experian.

i have proof of the inquiry as i have a printed copy of my credit report. i also have a copy of the letter they sent to me that i posted. so is this a violation of the law..

i tried to call experian ha ha ha.. so i guess ill have to write them

If they recode it as a soft INQ, no violation. It's still there on your CR. But EX generally doesn't delete INQs, not even soft INQs. I think I have some from 2002.

so if they keep it like it is .. then violation?

i am writing the letter now to ex...

Senior Contributor

chevy01xtreme wrote:

so if they keep it like it is .. then violation?

i am writing the letter now to ex...

Any INQ, hard or soft, must remain on one's CR by law. Hard or soft isn't mentioned anywhere in the FCRA. An unauthorized INQ must by law remain, although it can get re-coded as soft as there are no FCRA laws governing hard or soft. However, an unauthorized INQ is still a violation.

Cut to the nutshell: While you can sue over an unauthorized INQ, and I while think the world would be a better place if EVERYONE sued the CRAs over EVERY violation so as to produce more compliant behavior, practically speaking you have to ask whether it's worth it to sue. Send 'em an ITS letter and demand $1,000 from the unauthorized puller, but the INQ might magically disappear.

so yesterday i get in the mail my updated CR from experian and they deleted this injuiry by this company. :smileyhappy:
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.