Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cleaning up old credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

cleaning up old credit

I have a new question for anyone out there. I found I have stuff on my credit from over 7 seven years ago. They are paid off and don't seem to be affecting me negatively. Would it be in my best interest to try and get them removed since it shouldn't be showing up at all if it is over 7 seven years? Or is it ok to leave it to show I have a longer credit history?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: cleaning up old credit

One of the cardinal rules of credit score optimization is to NEVER dispute ANYTHING that is not derogatory, even if it is a credit line from 1974. In all likelihood, removing the items in question would LOWER your credit score. Don't do it.
Message 2 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

TheNewWorldMan is correct!
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

In fact, I just took a 19-point hit on my TU score this very month because an old account in good standing from when I was married fell off my credit report, thereby reducing my total credit history from 11 to 3 years.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

TheNewWorldMan wrote:
In fact, I just took a 19-point hit on my TU score this very month because an old account in good standing from when I was married fell off my credit report, thereby reducing my total credit history from 11 to 3 years.

Ouch.............
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

good TLs stay on 10 years after the date of last activity
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So what should we do when good TL's drop off?  New TL's?  If we know that the date for a TL is coming up within a year or so to drop off, should we try to get a new TL prior to that date?
Message 7 of 8
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

myhearts07 wrote:
So what should we do when good TL's drop off?  New TL's?  If we know that the date for a TL is coming up within a year or so to drop off, should we try to get a new TL prior to that date?

You should get a good new TL 10 years before it is due to drop off  Smiley Very Happy

I have a whole bunch dropping of in 4 or 5 years, so I have been doing the math.  I shouldn't be applying for more credit after this year.

That is really long term thinking  Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by MidnightVoice on 08-15-2007 07:42 AM
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.