Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

closing an account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

closing an account

Should I close down an old cc with a 125 limit. I had horrible credit in the 400's now in 600's. Just gotta 5000 chase card. I now have 14 positive credit card accounts mostly store cards and high interest bad credit cards. As I get good limit cards should I close old cards down. Avg age less than one year on 14 accounts. Worst 3 cards I have are the oldest. My utilization 4 percent.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Re: closing an account

@Anonymous wrote:
Should I close down an old cc with a 125 limit. I had horrible credit in the 400's now in 600's. Just gotta 5000 chase card. I now have 14 positive credit card accounts mostly store cards and high interest bad credit cards. As I get good limit cards should I close old cards down. Avg age less than one year on 14 accounts. Worst 3 cards I have are the oldest. My utilization 4 percent.

If the age on your oldest cards, that you are considering closings in less than three years, then consider the following: Store cards and revolving credit like visa, mc, etc aren't weighed the same.  Contact the cards for CLI and ask them to reduce your interest rate.  If you have at least two cards, besides the case, that are VIsa, AmEX, Master card, then close the cards if they won't raise your CL & lower your interest rate.

If your oldest cards are 5 years or more, work with them to get CLI and lower your rate, but put them away if they won't meet your requests.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/m-p/347190?jump=true

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Should I close down an old cc with a 125 limit.

Your call to make.  Not everyone uses the same approach in managing their credit.  Some keep all cards possible.  Some only keep all cards with no AF.  Some close out cards that are no longer useful to them regardless.  Use the info in the link provided by the prior post to help you in your decision making.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.