Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

collections

Why is that your score goes down when a collection hits your credit for the same bill? They switch from one company to another but it is the same bill. It sounds like double jeopardy to me.

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
203bravo
Established Contributor

Re: collections

There can only be 1 collection for your account at a time.  Do you mean a notation from the OC as a CO and a second notation for the CA? 
Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
203bravo
Established Contributor

There can only be 1 collection for your account at a time.  Do you mean a notation from the OC as a CO and a second notation for the CA? 
Message 2 of 7
musicdiva
Valued Member

BUMP.

I have the same original question: what is the impact to the score if the OC lists an item and a CA does and both are on the report at the same time. 

Since there can only be "1 at a time", does that mean one CA at a time or only one of either the OC or CA?

Starting Score: EQ 522, TU 482 June 2012
Current Score: EQ 502, TU 548 Jan 2013
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

There are two accounts, but they are different types of accounts.  One is for the OC who marks a charge-off.   The second is for the collection account.  This is how they all work.  IME, The collections are easier to PFD or GW once paid than the carge-offs.  

If the CA sells the account to another CA then I guess the new CA would also create an account. I would hope that the first CA would delete then so you don't have a charge-off and then TWO collections for the same account, a total of 3 hits.  I guess you should work on trying to pay the collection.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

While a debt collector may choose to delete if their collection authority is terminated, nothing requires them to do so.

A new debt collector has the right to report their collection once assigned collection authority.  So yes, you can have two debt collectors in your CR related to the same debt.

Message 5 of 7
julielyn64

Re: collections do not pay them off!

What a nightmare the past 2 years paying off collections and today some still remain even though the ca agreed to delete item when paid in full.

my fico score is lower now than when i started 2 years ago. I dont advise anybody to payoff collections at all. The damage is done leave it be it goes away in 10 years regardless! My Experian was 608 Transunion 713 and Equifax 648 so I screwed myself because im trying to get a mortgage and fha

doesnt care about medical collections! Today i get my updated joke of an Experian report to find they didnt update crap i paid nor did they delete it and my score fell to a 594!

im so mad!

do not i repeat do not pay collections it brings it up to date and your time starts over ...sry im on a tablet typing.

Message 6 of 7
julielyn64

Agreed. I have several that are duplicated. Im wanting to sue them now seriously! This is my credit reputation they are lying about!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.