New Visitor
jasoneb

collections

i have several collections accounts where the account itself is 6-8 years old but the accounts are bought by collections services and relisted. my question is- should i be able to challenge these items based on how old they are or does the time start over from when they are "bought"?
Moderator Emeritus
Tuscani

Re: collections

Dispute them as "outdated".
Contributor
JennLewis

Re: collections

If the date of last payment on these accounts are over 7 years old, the Collection Agency is not allowed to re-list them on your report because the collection agencies have to follow the date of last activity. 

If the date of last payment on these accounts are <  7 years old, then the collection agency is allowed to list it on your report.  

In either situation, double-check to make sure that they did not re-date the date of last activity.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}