Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit card debt after death

tag
dorkface
Established Member

credit card debt after death

hi all

my father passed away unexpectedly two days ago. we are tying up endless loose ends, several of which involve credit card debt.

there are two us bank credit cards in both his name and my mother's name. we are trying to determine whather she is a co signer on the loan (responsible for debt), or authorized user (most likely not resonsible). the debt is substantial, roughly 30,000. her name and his appear on the statement.

she is suffering from dementia and alzheimer's, and won't understand the question. we need to determine how much monthly is available for her care.

is there a way to determine this other than calling the bank?

thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
BGoneDebt
Contributor

Re: credit card debt after death

First and foremost, my condolences on your loss.

Losing a parent is never easy and when the other is incapacitated it's even harder (I speak from unfortunate experience).

Several things come to mind, not necessariy a straight answer:

Do you have access to other financial records?  Current checkbook, bank / pension / social security statements?

Could you pay the minimum for a month (or two) while you got answers to all the pressing questions?

Is there any further need of these cards for your mother's care or use such as prescriptions or autopaid insurance payments, etc.?

Do you have a lawer to ask estate questions of?  and perhaps run this by as well?  

Please say your dad had a will.

There is so much that could be going *on* the cards, that whether closing / tranferrring or simply notifying the bank of your dad's death are kind of "next steps".

I wish you luck and peace.  Make sure to take some time for you to desress and grieve or all this will become super overwhelming.

Starting Score: TU 584 EQ 560 EX 686
Current Score: TU 716 EQ 677 EX 714
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

This is a matter that may require lawyers, etc. Off the bat though, call the credit cards and let them know the situation and see if the can write off the debt; they will require  death certificate, of course different states have different laws. Also, what happens most times is the "Estate" is responsible, which means if your dad has assets, they may be liquidated to pay off the debt and hopefully there's something left after everything is paid off. Again, see a lawyer.

Message 3 of 4
dorkface
Established Member

thank you so much for your responses. 

no it's not easy. i'm having a rough time of it, as is my sister 2 hours away, but between the two of us we are making progress.  unfortunately no time to grieve. so many loose ends, and a family owned small business of rental properties. a real trainwreck. he went in for bypass surgery monday and never recovered. i wiped him down just before he went in to prep him. said "kick some a** in there, get 'er done". last i saw him.

anyway, lamentations aside:

Several things come to mind, not necessariy a straight answer:

Do you have access to other financial records?

yes. i had been paying most of their bills for the past year and a half. i have access to all their credit card and checking accounts.

Current checkbook, bank / pension / social security statements?

pretty much everything is online, but i have most everything.

Could you pay the minimum for a month (or two) while you got answers to all the pressing questions?

yes, i plan on doing this. there are three that are in his name onlyu, so we're letting those go.

Is there any further need of these cards for your mother's care or use such as prescriptions or autopaid insurance payments, etc.?

no. they are maxed out anyway. she has a long term health care plan that should take care of most of her assistance needs. i am paying the premiums.

Do you have a lawer to ask estate questions of?

yes. met with her yesterday. long meeting. productive.

and perhaps run this by as well?  

Please say your dad had a will.

yes, but very outdated. my sister and i will both be given power of attorney and executor status.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.