Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit card question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit card question

Is it possible to get a credit card if I am $100 over the limit on my Orchard Bank Card? I am over the limit on that and I have a judgement that was paid and released in 2004, and a verizon thing that was paid in full in 2005. My Fico scores are EX 692, EQ 592, TU 613. I was thinking about WAMU, or something along those lines, but I don't know if I have a shot at that. Any advice? Thanks!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: credit card question

WaMu might give you a rough time.

Is Orchard your only card?  Can you pay it down and get it to report a lesser UTI?  At that point you could apply for some cards since your EX is pretty good and that's what most companies pull. 

I would probably go for a Cap1 card for best approval chances because of your derogs, and especially if you only have 1 rev TL.  They will triple INQ you though.  Getting any pre-app mail offers for cards?
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Their are cards with higher fees that will except you with over the limit. I don't think over the limit is the sinking factor as much as the card is maxed out. Just being over 30% UTL is usually enough for me to get all denials with no negs on CR. I would save the inq until you get your bal down below 25%. Your approval odds go way up.

If your revolving debt was below 25%, Wamu would be a good try. Wamu from what I have seen doesn't like very high UTL. Any reason why you can't wait a month? Maxed out is like trying to find a dry cleaner that is open past 6pm on Sunday. It can be done but why risk it when you can just app with low UTL next month? If the bal isn't going to come down, in that case use your best judgment but wait if you can.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 01-09-2008 07:23 PM
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

anything is possible may not be from a bank like WAMU HOOTERS OR JUNNY more like maybe CAp1 or something i would try to fix things up a little more before applying to be safe
Message 4 of 9
sadie71
Established Member

You might want to check you account on line with Orchard because they charge $35.00 over the limit fee, so you might be more than 100.00 over at this point. 

Of note, in July 2007 - I paid my account on line 2 days before the due date and recorded the confirmation number in my checkbook.   When I got my August statement my balance was charged $35.00 for a late charge, $35.00 dollars over the limit (which the $35.00 late charge pushed me over the limit), 6 days later I was charged another $35.00 over the limit fee and again 7 days later another $35.00 over the limit fee, so the total charges was 170.00, which I freaked out over and called them I had paid the payment.   Then they posted a 30-day late for July on my credit report and closed the account.   I had never been late with them before.

I did get the problem resolved in December after providing my records and received a letter in the mail from VP stating that they had made a mistake and issued me a check for $170.00  (what a nice surprise for Christmas) and took the 30-day late off of the credit report.  They offered to reopen the card but it would have costed me a hard inq, so I declined, so they marked the CR as "closed by me/paid in full with no 30-day. 

So please get the over-the-limit down as quickly as possible because the fees will be assessed and you will owe more than you originally did.   You can go online and see your account, not wait for the statement to see if they have assessed the over-the-limit fees to your account.   DON'T wait for the statement, call or go online and resolve this immediately.
Message 5 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

sadie, you rock! I thought I was the only one writing down confirmation numbers.

These days I write a physical check about every 3 months, but I go through check registers at light speed. That's where I record ALL my online banking stuff, including the conf number. Sometimes it takes several days for the payment to show up both on the CC site and on my bank's site, so I can look at the register to confirm that yes, I really have paid.

I haven't had to wave the number at anyone yet, but as your post shows, it's pretty sweet to have it when you need it!
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I used to pay directly on the CC sites- I copied and pasted the conf numbers into MS Money-

haulingthescoreup wrote:
sadie, you rock! I thought I was the only one writing down confirmation numbers.

These days I write a physical check about every 3 months, but I go through check registers at light speed. That's where I record ALL my online banking stuff, including the conf number. Sometimes it takes several days for the payment to show up both on the CC site and on my bank's site, so I can look at the register to confirm that yes, I really have paid.

I haven't had to wave the number at anyone yet, but as your post shows, it's pretty sweet to have it when you need it!

Message 7 of 9
cobra19
Valued Contributor

mrspags....................yes, it is possible. You might want to try hooters. They pull TU and your 613 should be enough.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your advice. I think that I am going to hold off till I pay down the Orchard Bank card. I hopefully will be paying it down to 50% utilization in the next day or two. Just waiting on a bonus check. Thanks!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.