Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit karma is a scam

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit karma is a scam

i so i only used ck in the very beginning to check what collections i have, still check with it yesterday it had my score at 555, and 565, cct today tells me my score has gone +40 this week i look at ck and says -71, & -48 pts and recommends nothing else but lexington, i have to laugh because it  says 2 days until the weekly update, yet posts some bull crap scores to try and get money, then i look at score history and show it from 680 to 516 in the last month, i havent had a 680 score in 10+ yrs... ok rant over, ck is ok for collection info like name and place other then that a complete scam  .

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: credit karma is a scam

The scores are certainly useless, but it's good for occasionally showing when accounts are removed from TU and EQ.

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't call it a scam. If you went there looking for something other than what they deliver, then I can understand your frustration. VantageScore is to be taken with a grain of salt and not be compared to FICO scores in any way as the scoring algorithms are much different.

Message 3 of 23
enerey
Regular Contributor

credit karma is great. free reports and also gives option to do a direct dispute for some people.  of course they have ads to try and make money,  no one forces you to sign up. 

Message 4 of 23
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Although I find the scores to be a joke and the credit card "suggestions" to be nothing more than paid advertising, I find the actual credit reports and inquiry tracking to be worthwhile. Don't know how anything that is FREE could be considered a "scam".

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I first signed up for Credit Karma I did not understand about the difference in the scoring models.  Since they Vantage scores they are usually more than what you see on my FICO.  Once I understood that I felt better about using their site. It has proven to be a tremendous help to me in identifying mistakes on my credit report. With this information I was able to dispute many things and clean up my files. The credit bureau's do not always get the list of creditors right in Bankruptcy cases.  I love that I have been able to look at my Trans Union and Equifax reports for free as often as I like.

Message 6 of 23
elim
Senior Contributor

Once i figured out where the CK tool fit into weekly credit actions I learned to love the site.  I just wish lenders pulled Vantage 3 because my V3 scores are great, lol.

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

i so i only used ck in the very beginning to check what collections i have, still check with it yesterday it had my score at 555, and 565, cct today tells me my score has gone +40 this week i look at ck and says -71, & -48 pts and recommends nothing else but lexington, i have to laugh because it  says 2 days until the weekly update, yet posts some bull crap scores to try and get money, then i look at score history and show it from 680 to 516 in the last month, i havent had a 680 score in 10+ yrs... ok rant over, ck is ok for collection info like name and place other then that a complete scam  .

CK only provides what the bureaus provide to them. So if anything, you are saying that Transunion and Equifax are scams, as they are the ones providing those scores. CK is just a middleman who is delivering them to you free of charge. CK has to make their money somewhere, and that is from advertisements.

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I cant say this for sure, but they may even provide targeted offers. As in, your credit sucks, here is a Lexington Law ad, lol

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

They recommend Lexington Law, Amex ED and Chase Freedom to everyone.
Use for free report monitoring only.
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.