Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit karma score vs. capital one credit score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit karma score vs. capital one credit score

In credit karma (which the lady at Wells Fargo told me was really accurate) my Transunion score is 658. I logged into my capital one and used credit check on their website and my Transunion is 627... why such a difference. Which one is more accurate? With my luck, the 627 is probably the correct score :/

Have been working really hard on rebuilding. This is getting stressful.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: credit karma score vs. capital one credit score

The lady at Wells Fargo doesn't have a clue. Neither score is accurate, if we define accurate as the score creditors actually use to make decisions. The CK score is Vantage, which very few lenders use. The Cap One score is another Fako, which no lenders use. They are different because they use different models. If I had to pick one that is "more" accurate, I'd go with the Vantage score from CK.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I applied for a Discover and an Amex, both reported an EX FICO that very closely matched my CapitalOne TU Fako. Closer than CK. But results vary I guess.
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! Ok... Thank you for the responses. I guess I will continue with my credit building journey, hope for the best, and cross my fingers when i apply for a mortgage. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
When I applied for a Discover and an Amex, both reported an EX FICO that very closely matched my CapitalOne TU Fako. Closer than CK. But results vary I guess.

My Cap One TU Fako is 681. My actual TU Fico is 796.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my opinion Credit Karma is never accurate. when I purchased my car Credit Karma said I was a 695. When I was really a 753. I have found Discover and Barclay Mastercard Fico scores to be more accurate...
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
In my opinion Credit Karma is never accurate. when I purchased my car Credit Karma said I was a 695. When I was really a 753. I have found Discover and Barclay Mastercard Fico scores to be more accurate...

That's because they're both actual Fico scores.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I might add that my credit history is very short, so that may have an influence on my CapitalOne score and actual FICO being so close.

Message 8 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

In credit karma (which the lady at Wells Fargo told me was really accurate) my Transunion score is 658. I logged into my capital one and used credit check on their website and my Transunion is 627... why such a difference. Which one is more accurate?

This is a very common topic so don't overlook prior discussions as well as the Understanding FICO Scoring subforum.

All scores are accurate, however, the problem is that you're assuming that they're all aiming for the same target.  You cannot rely on a score generated by one model to determine a score generated by a different scoring model.  You should expect different algorithms to produce different results given that they don't weigh the data in the source report the same way.  CK now provides VantageScore 3.0.  CO provides the TransUnion New Account model.  You can't use either to determine the other or any FICO.  Even FICO has a number of different scoring models in use by creditors.

@Anonymous wrote:

Have been working really hard on rebuilding. This is getting stressful.

That's why I don't recommend obsessing over specific numbers.  Focus on the data in your reports.  Any score is based on the data in a report.  Good reports will lead to good scores.  If you want to know what number a creditor will pull for you then you need to know what CRA and scoring model they use.  Even then, you can't obtain a score for every model out there.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

WOW! I took that 58 point difference and added it to my Credit Karma TU score (670), and it came out exactly the same as my Capital One Credit Tracker TU score! (728)

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.